PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
@RustiePyles CPG recently did a wonderful job re-stemming a Barling-banded BBB for me (in the 'Show Us Your Barlings' thread). While he had it, I found a cheap Churchill's stummel in the States and he agreed to re-stem that one too (and again, did a brilliant job).

I've always wanted a Churchill's pipe as they were supposed to be from a tobacconist that used to be local to me in the UK, Churchill's of Norwich (a brilliant, old-fashioned tobacconist, who sold me my very first pipe). I'd always had my suspicions about that, as most Churchill's pipes seem to turn up in the US (with briar from France, Italy, Israel and maybe others). This stummel came from Sparta, NC (unsmoked) and lo, and behold it seems to be from Sparta Industries/Dr Grabow.

Funnily enough, I then met John Elvin over Christmas, the original owner of Churchill's, and he said categorically that they didn't sell any pipes under their own name. He retired in 2008, and Keith Garrard took over the shop (sadly no longer with us).

The faulty information is on rebornpipes and Pipedia, but comes from pipephil originally: Ch -- Pipes : Logos & Markings - http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-c4.html

Does anyone have one of these pipes? Does anyone know where they are actually from? Does anyone know any other tobacconists called Churchill's that may have stocked their own-brand pipes?WhatsApp Image 2024-03-06 at 15.09.29.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-03-06 at 15.09.29 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-03-06 at 15.09.29 (2).jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
For what its worth there are and have been several Tobaconists in the US called Churchill's. There is one currently not far from me in Topeka, Ks. These could have been made for one of those.

Reactions: jaingorenard

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
@RustiePyles CPG recently did a wonderful job re-stemming a Barling-banded BBB for me (in the 'Show Us Your Barlings' thread). While he had it, I found a cheap Churchill's stummel in the States and he agreed to re-stem that one too (and again, did a brilliant job).

I've always wanted a Churchill's pipe as they were supposed to be from a tobacconist that used to be local to me in the UK, Churchill's of Norwich (a brilliant, old-fashioned tobacconist, who sold me my very first pipe). I'd always had my suspicions about that, as most Churchill's pipes seem to turn up in the US (with briar from France, Italy, Israel and maybe others). This stummel came from Sparta, NC (unsmoked) and lo, and behold it seems to be from Sparta Industries/Dr Grabow.

Funnily enough, I then met John Elvin over Christmas, the original owner of Churchill's, and he said categorically that they didn't sell any pipes under their own name. He retired in 2008, and Keith Garrard took over the shop (sadly no longer with us).

The faulty information is on rebornpipes and Pipedia, but comes from pipephil originally: Ch -- Pipes : Logos & Markings - http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-c4.html

Does anyone have one of these pipes? Does anyone know where they are actually from? Does anyone know any other tobacconists called Churchill's that may have stocked their own-brand pipes?View attachment 293806View attachment 293807View attachment 293808
I think the confusion enters the picture when shops sourced pipes from many makers and stamped their name. Many may not admit this fact. I have several that may have been sold off as seconds by upscale makers.