PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I picked up a Jifeng old boy replica on eBay for $20 about 3 months ago.
6dkMibD.jpg

Apart from it taking 6 or 7 weeks to get here it's been a great lighter. It's all copper, very heavy/sturdy and lights well. The only modification I've had to do to is was to use some blue lock tight on the tamper. We'll see in a few years if the product will last and perform well. Based on several reviews I've seen on the forums and youtube I think it will.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I have a zippo w/ pipe insert which I adore for the feel and sound - but I rarely ever use it. I don't smoke very often and it always is out of fuel. I have tried a butane insert (the thunderbird or something to that effect) but it failed after about the third light.
I just ordered a Kiribi and hope it will retain fuel better than the zippo but for now I have just been using a bic. I find this unfortunate. Smoking a pipe is a ritualistic and tactile thing - the tools used should support this. To these ends I also ordered a new tamper. Nothing ruins the moment like trying to pry a nearly-seized czech multi-tool open with one hand.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I really wanted to get one of those as well, but couldn't find one without the pipe images on the side. :S
throbinson - Keep an eye out on eBay. Jifeng has several models of similar style to the old boy without pipe images. They aren't always available on eBay but they do tend to show up every few weeks.
There are a couple of Chinese web sites like Aliexpress that have a good selection of Jifeng lighters. The prices are good and the selection is great, I've just never been brave enough to place an order on a Chinese site. 8)

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I have an Old Boy and I also have a Dunhill, but to be honest, most of the time it's an old reliable Bic. They are cheap and they work as well as the high dollar lighters. Besides, if I'm going to spend my money, I would rather spend it on a pipe or tobacco.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Picked up a new polished chrome Zippo today along with a large can of the Zippo fluid (black can). Out the door for under $20! Been using it and I've got to say that when I let it burn off for a few seconds there's almost no hint of the fuel taste. I'm very pleased and once again proud to toting a USA made tool in my pocket along with my Kershaw Ken Onion knife. $14 for your choice of Zippo at this place and they have a pile of them! I may be back to get a couple more, just to have them.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Not only a beautiful American product, but if anything goes wrong or something wears out or you want a pipe chimney, you just send the lighter to them and they fix it and send it back for free.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've driven past the factory and it's a cool campus. All the street lights are lighters! Some day I'll your the Zippo/Case knife museum.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
I own a few lighters ranging from Bic to Dunhill. I must say, most times I use a Bic lighter because they last forever, the flame is always at the right height, they are inexpensive and the fact that their reservoir is made of plastic makes them less vulnerable to temperature change. Like Cosmicfolklore said, it is also a great stress reliever to chuck them away when they are empty haha! I mostly smoke in my car (where my lighter stays) and a lighter with a metal reservoir gets so cold here in Canada that it is impossible to light during the winter and I get a 3 inch tall flame on hot summer days... I also own a Kiribi (the model without the tamper) and I am very pleased with it. It is well constructed and has a big reservoir. BUT, what I carry with me everyday in my front pocket with my spare change is a JIFENG, the Chinese imitation of the Old Boy. I must say I am impressed by this lighter. I think I paid $20USD for it more than a year ago (comes with free shipping). It is well made, feels heavy and solid, has a good fuel capacity and it works every single time on the first strike. I strongly recommend this lighter. I have ordered many different items from the eBay seller ahai006 and never had any problem with shipping, and it ships faster than you think.

jifeng.jpg

Photo credit: eBay seller ahai006
And here is my Kiribi

kiribi.jpg

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
HOMEWATERS, I have always been hesitant to buy something out of China, guess you did it through PayPal? How safe is that? I assume not any issues. I may try one of those through the dealer that you recommended.

I'm a huge fan of my Zippo's but just wanting to try something different. But in reality, matches and a zippo and an occasional BIC work great. I've also used one of those BIC charcoal grill lighters, with the long stem. Works great. hehehee

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Yes through Paypal. I know there are other eBay dealers that offer the same lighter but my personal experience has been through the seller I mentioned. I consider Paypal to be safe but if you are hesitant you can always buy a Paypal prepaid card at your local drugstore, that way you don't have to link a bank account or a credit card to your Paypal...

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I didn't know about the prepaid PayPal, pretty good deal. Although, I see that PayPal is pretty secure. More so than a debit or credit card transaction.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I've got a Zippo brushed brass I used about 15 years ago for cigars. I love the design. I haven't filled it and used it for pipes (I'm a new pipe smoker). When I was a kid, my dad smoked pipes and he used a Zippo pipe lighter. I dislike the tube-shaped BICs. What I've been using is a Djeep. It keeps the thumb out of the flame when inverted. It's a cheap butane lighter from France. But those Old Boy lighters look enticing. I like the flat black model, which is now in my wish list at Amazon.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
After reading several of these threads, I decided to get a Corona Old Boy, pinstripe version. I love it and it works well for me outdoors despite some of the reviews to the contrary.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a thing for lighters and do have a pretty good sized collection. I own Duponts( all cigar lighters, IM Corona's and a Davidoff( a pipe lighter) and without a doubt the IM Corona brand of lighters is by far the most reliable and cost effective pipe lighters I have owned. My first one( The Briar one with flint) I bought was in 2000 and 15 years later it is still going strong. I also have 2 Pipemaster Old Boys with the electronic ignition and both of them have worked perfectly with one being over 2 years old. The reason I have 2 was because I lost one under my night stand and it showed up months later and I loved the first one so much I had to get another. One thing I love about them besides their reliability is the built in tamper, I hate having to keep an eye on my tampers while smoking.
I have tried lighters from a lot of different companies and not a one lasted more than 6 months. Lotus sucks balls and there are a few Old Boy knock offs that sell in the 35-50 price range that all sucked. I believe that with lighters you get what you pay for. I also have a Zippo pipe lighter that I break out if I am smoking in a strong wind as those are the best outside. One thing I don't like about the Zippo is the lack of control I get with the flame and getting to the bottom of the bowl can be difficult at times. I highly recommend that if you only want to buy one lighter that will last a lifetime, IM Corona Old Boy is the way to go. Now personally, I don't know how anyone can only own one lighter, it is like owning only one pipe. Yes I admit freely I have a lighter fetish. It began as a kid( 12) when I got my first Zippo.
Here is a pic of my lighter collection. From left to right it goes Duponts the first 5, then my Davidoff lighter( it is my dressing up lighter) and the last is my first Old Boy that has darkened nicely over the years( that pic is about 11 years old)

Here is a pic of my IM Corona Pipemaster. What I also really like about it is the tamper is considerably longer than the tamper on my regular Old Boy. There are times when I do need the longer tamper.

Status
Not open for further replies.