Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Looks cool. I'll look for one next time at a B&M. Thanks for taking the trouble to put up photos.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
You're welcome! Chances are high of finding an Old Boy at the B&M ( internet retail about 120 tops ). The Unique.....internet retail about 350 for the silver plate.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I have just about decided to stay with my Zippo and matches. I will place an Old Boy on my "gift" list if a family member wants to get me something special for a birthday or Christmas.... but I don't think I can improve on what I have for use on a daily basis. Thanks for the lively discussion. Really enjoyable to see what folks are using and not using. I do think I will pass on using a coal from the fire pit..... but who knows, it is an option. hehehehee :puffy:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Does this make the Old Boy unique? Or a clone of the Unique?

The Dunhill Unique is the original. The IMCO Old Boy is a lower price knock off. I have several pipe lighters at hand but unfortunately my favorite Davidoff Slim has been in the shop for months waiting on parts I fear will never arrive. 8O

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The price tag is a little alarming, particularly since I'm already happy with the Zippo, and for some reason am not fond of butane lighters--but at least I come away enlightened. Thanks, guys.

I have some of the most beautiful and expensive lighters for pipes on my rack, and I love my pipe Zippo best. However, I only ever use a Bic to light my pipes. I just got tired of getting my pipe ready and finding that my $100+ lighter is empty or needs a flint or needs fiddling with. It just isn't worth it. The more money, the more disappointed I've been. At least with a Bic, if it runs out of fluid, I can get some satisfaction out of chunking it, and everywhere has a replacement. Why can't a lighter designer make one that is at least as dependable as Bic?
I don't char my rims. If whatever you are using is charring your rims, then you aren't holding it high enough above the bowl.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
menuhin, thanks for digging up that old thread!

I had never come across it. Great job by carlosviet.

I use matches mostly, but really thought my Old Boy (which is my fall back) was fine if I was careful. That test shows otherwise.

Back in the day, over filling was the cause of most of my pipe damage.
Can't imagine what holding a lump of coal in tongs up to the bowl did to briers. Then again, clay pipes could handle that.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
The Zippo with the pipe insert serves me very well, no more burned rims. I like mine so much I got one personalized with my own art of the beautiful Gabriel:
sparrowhawk, that is a really nice Zippo!

Hmmmm.....there's just something about a beautiful woman in a witch's hat smoking a cob. That's one hot lighter.
Another vote for matches and Zippos.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I use a Xikar Resource, and it is ok. If it's windy it's not effective and if it's below 50 degrees you need to put it in your hand for a bit. The most economical/ergonomical lighter is a Djeep. You don't burn your thumb due to the extended platform and at most they are $2.
Hope that helps

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
For $14 shipped you can get a Chinese "old boy" on ebay. The brand is Yibao. The other is Honest. About $8. I like the looks of the Yibao but the Honest works better with its side flame and simple click mechanism. I have had them for more than a few mos and no issues with either. Great lighters for the $$$$

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I've recently went thought the conundrum of which lighter to use . After trying 2 butane lights the lasted all of a few months I when out and got the Zippo pipe light and I'm very happy with it .My other choice would be matches

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I heard ZIPPO and similar lighters weren't good to use for pipes because you can taste the lighter fluid used? Not sure if true or not, so I went on eBay and bought a BaoFa lighter that took butane.
Lighter is decent, doesn't light well if too close to the tobacco, need to light it then bring it closer. I managed to snag one off eBay for about $3 (Canadian) from a China seller with free shipping.... just under 3 weeks and was here. Been using it for about 2 months. Best part is that it has the tools built in. Amazon is like $30+, but again, watch eBay, shouldn't have to exceed $5 and it's a pretty decent lighter, and easy to refill.
My (belated) birthday gift a couple of weeks ago though, I got a Zippo lighter, just a regular one not the pipe one, PLUS I got a Thunderbird brand insert. Basically take the inside out of the Zippo and replaced it with a butane insert designed for pipes. Works really well, doesn't have the 'pipe hole' for the flame on both sides like the Zippo ones have but, doesn't affect me... maybe a lefty would find it cumbersome though. Nice thing though is, it fits any standard Zippo lighter, so, not stuck buying the Zippo Pipe Lighter which I think comes in maybe 3 options. Costs more (if not a gift) but looks good, works better... downside is no external access, have to pull the insert out to refill, and until wears in a bit, it's a bit tight.
Debated drilling a hole in the side of the Thunderbird to match more what the Zippo insert is like, but works so not going to bother. I may however, drill a hole in the bottom of the zippo for refill access.
BaoFa Lighter

41JZMNkYewL.jpg

Thunderbird Pipe Insert

31J5A0MUwEL._SY355_.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
... need to light it then bring it closer.
I still consider myself a noob in many things related to this hobby, but isn't this what we're supposed to be doing anyway? If not, I've been doing it wrong since I started pretty much.
Also, I've been using a Thunderbird insert for close to 4 years and it is still tops if matches can't do the trick.
-Jason

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I'm a noob, only been using a pipe since November... that being said, I've never heard of a proper way to light it on fire. Though I'm sure there probably is...
I usually only half fill a bowl, so tend to hold the end of the BaoFa in the pipe a bit and then light it. My theory is, if I light it further away and bring it in, the flame is more likely to touch the rim and outside of the bowl. That being said, the Zippo isn't a click button like the BaoFa so, no choice but to light it a bit further away.
The BaoFa though, regardless if lighting a pipe, cigar, cigarette... if too close, it doesn't seem to flame. Needs a few inches of space to breathe I guess.
... wait, a noob? You joined 5yrs ago and you're a Mod. :D

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Same here, I would go for the Zippo with pipe insert. Just hate the leakage.
Bic or match is good enough too.
Got a old boy similar type of dunhill. Scotch the pipe easily with the flame. Got 2 Dupont, refill is an expensive affair.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I enjoy using wooden matches as much a possible but since I smoke outside on the deck wind is a problem most of the time. This is why I have found that my Zippo with pipe insert is such a great lighter. Simple,affordable and very reliable. I really love my Zippo.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Zippo's leak?
Well, like I said, I have a Zippo shell, but the Thunderbird butane insert, which doesn't leak and works great. In case anyone has a nice Zippo (mine was engraved) and wants to keep it but not have leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.