Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like the membership planning folks have it in hand. If I had to start cold, I'd go to tourism and up the ladder of management of some of the chain hotels/motels. A good pro could probably suggest alternatives if a meeting of smokers just doesn't fit heir profile. I would think the smoking area could be off-campus from the lodging and restaurants; it's better if it is all within walking distance, of course. I'd certainly mention this meeting has been going for a number of years, so for the hosts, it could be a revenue stream, more than a one-shot deal.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is Tinley Park a proposal or a plan? Some nearby city or suburb could make a nice ongoing moneymaker out of this, I'd think.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Munster, Indiana. Home of Three Floyd’s Brewing and Munster Donuts.

Fly into Midway. One hour drive or so. Indiana is way more lax on smoking. Gas and tobacco are cheaper there, likely hotels are too.

Just a thought.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Actually only 40 mins drive from Midway without traffic.
But it looks like they just passed a smoking ban :(
Up until recently they had bars you could smoke in

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
It would make financial sense for the show to happen at an airport hotel. It would be convenient as they have shuttles every 20 min or so, are close to an airport that is already "damaging the earth with it's poisonous gas" and most people staying there can careless as they are quite transient! So for 3-4 days the hotels in the area fill up with over 2000 people for the event! No brainer! I have only stayed at an airport hotel a handful of times and never by choice. It seems like a huge missed opportunity if they weren't interested.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Airport hotels are generally more expensive and also maintain a reasonable occupancy rate based upon location. Plus, you need room for a very large tent and all the parking spaces. I'm sure the challenge isn't just to find a place but to do so and maintain a reasonable price point. All that while finding a place amenable to to having 2,000 smokers on the property. Oh, and the hotel also had to have a convention Hall capable of housing all the exhibitors.

I'm confident there's at least half a dozen other challenging deal breakers when trying to set up a pipe show. Not to mention, they're now faced with a dwindling lead time. The Chicago Pipe Club folks seem to be a talented group but I don't envy the challenges they face. I wish them the best of luck as I really enjoy attending this show.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Sure, there's plenty of details that need to be looked into and I have confidence that they will pull it off. I think the most important part would be the conference rooms for the venders as they are the majority of the reason for the pipe show in the first place.

I wonder if people would still attend if there were no smoking tents? It would be odd for sure but necessarily a deal breaker under the circumstances. I wouldn't hold it against them. I am certain that the cpc is working very hard to make things happen.

Staying posted for any details for sure.

Reactions: ron123

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Have a feeling there is no way the Chicago Pipe Show is moving to Indiana.
Munster is just as close to Chicago as Rosemont. Just sayin

or what about Champaign? (if you need an airport)

I lived in Chicago from 2000-2014. Was hoping to attend this year but as bad luck would have it I’m already booked for Phoenix that weekend

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Sorry Johnny, Munster is nowhere near as close as Rosemont (assuming you're coming from the O'Hare airport). Champaign would be at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours from the airport if traffic isn't bad.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I agree with Hooiser, the Indiana border is not very close to either of Chicago's airports, (nor is Tinely Park for that matter), but I'd still attend if it were held there. Champaign would be the kiss of death for a show that's on life support already.

Status
Not open for further replies.