Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's a quick update on Saturday at the Chicago Pipe Show.
We visited the exhibits, went to the cigar dinner, and then partied the night away at the SmokingPipes.com 10th Anniversary Party.
We will have more detailed articles after we get home.
I hope you enjoy the update.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/chicago-pipe-show-2010-day-1-update/

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The guy you met at the slow smoking contest won the nationals here - Raymond.
I was very proud to do 20 mins and 28 seconds.
Bob did 36 mins 36 seconds.
We fly home tomorrow late morning.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
How do I get to Carnegie Hall?.....

Practice, Practice, Practice.

I'll have my hands full... of pipe.
I hope Skip will allow us to "run what you brung" like he did this year.

He said he might go with strict adherence to the rules next year and supply identical pipes, like they did at the nationals.
Raymond is undefeated at The Briary, now he's National Champ. (Hey... that's two National Champions this year from Alabama.) He's going to be tough to beat.
:)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The Slow Smoking Contest was a lot of fun.
I have to admit that slow smoking has never appealed to me, and that I frequently re-light my pipe.
Doc Gar got a hold of Bob & I and asked us to join the contest. Doc is such a nice guy that I couldn't say no. However, I wasn't really taking it seriously until after we started. I was sure I would be the first one out, but when the first guy went out and I was still going, I suddenly got super serious.
I am honestly proud that I made it 20 minutes on my first try. I thought I'd be out in five.
And I had a TON OF FUN! I want to do it again now.
They were very serious on the contest. IT was a great deal too.
$40 gets you a pipe, the tobacco, a wooden dowel style tamper, a pipe cleaner and 2 matches.
Everyone gets a prize too.
So we all had the same pipe, and same tobacco precisely measured. You get five minutes to rub out your tobacco and load your pipe. A strict timer is used and there are judges at every table watching and policing the rules.
You get two minutes with your two matches - again timed by the clock.
You cannot tamp the pipe with it out of your mouth. It must be in your mouth when you tamp.
For my 20 mins, 28 secs - I was either 4th or 5th out and I won a half a pound tin of Sutliff Private Stock - Sunrise Smoke. Plus I have the pipe that is engraved with the Chicago Slow Smoking Event, and the Tamper with same.
I'll post up pictures later.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The pipe was a Aldo Morelli made by Lorenzetti.
2010-Contest-Pipe-300.jpg

2010-Contest-Pipe-L-300.jpg

Pipe is Stamped: US Championship 2010 Chicago
The tobacco was GLP Barbary Coast.
2010-Contest-Tobacco-200.jpg

Contest Tampers
2010-Tampers-300.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Yes, it was a great time.
Kevin and I were joking around, talking, and stuff until the first guy went out. As soon as that happened, I couldn't get a word out of Kevin's mouth. He just kept the pipe in his mouth and stared straight ahead.
20 minutes, 28 seconds is a great time for the first time and with zero practice. I was surprised. Kevin did great and now we might have created a monster!
I did practice just that one time when I posted in Pstlpkr's blog, but that was it. My time of 36 minutes, 36 seconds won me a nice Savinelli pipe. I will post photos of it later.
Raymond's final time was 1 hour, 11 minutes. I don't remember the seconds.
One of our members here (Steven) won second place. He went out less than a minute before Raymond.
It was a blast!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Glad I could help Bob. :)

That's a decent time for a new pipe.

Thanks for posting Raymond's time.

I have my work cut out for me at next year's Briary contest.

Raymond is undefeated.

May 7, 2010
Hi folks. I finally joined PipesMagazine.com!!!
It was a great contest against some of the best slow smokers in the USA, including 4 past USPCA champions, the current US record holder, as well as a very tough international competition. The Barbary Coast we were smoking proved to be a tough tobacco for all of the competitors. When they announced I had won, I was so happy I lost all concentration and before I knew it, my pipe went out.
It wasn't my best time ever, but I was glad it was just enough to get the job done, given the tough level of competition. Now I must practice, practice, and practice to do the US team proud in Portugal in October. In the immortal words of the former Gov. of Alaska....drill baby drill....
I had a blast at the Chicago Pipe Show, and it was great to meet Bob and Kevin and talk pipes and tobaccos.
I also had a great time with the lads from Cornell & Diehl, and bought myself a brick of Night Train as a birthday present to myself. I'm thoughroughly enjoying it.

May 7, 2010
Hi folks. I finally joined PipesMagazine.com!!!

It was a great contest against some of the best slow smokers in the USA, including 4 past USPCA champions, the current US record holder, as well as a very tough international competition. The Barbary Coast we were smoking proved to be a tough tobacco for all of the competitors. When they announced I had won, I was so happy I lost all concentration and before I knew it, my pipe went out.

It wasn't my best time ever, but I was glad it was just enough to get the job done, given the tough level of competition. Now I must practice, practice, and practice to do the US team proud in Portugal in October. In the immortal words of the former Gov. of Alaska....drill baby drill....

I had a blast at the Chicago Pipe Show, and it was great to meet Bob and Kevin and talk pipes and tobaccos.

I also had a great time with the lads from Cornell & Diehl, and bought myself a brick of Night Train as a birthday present to myself. I'm thoughroughly enjoying it.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome to the site Raymond!
It was great meeting you as well! The Chicago Show was fun and we had a great time as well.
Congrats again on winning the contest! I will have to start practicing so next year I can give you a better run for your money :).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Raymond, congratulations on yet another victory, and welcome to the site. We'll be looking forward to your frequent posts with great interest. Perhaps you can coach some of us in the art of slow puffing.

May 7, 2010
Thanks for all of your congratulations and welcomes.
I'm sorry I missed the PipesMagazine.com party. Was it an invitation only event?
@Cortezattic: I'll be glad to share what I know about slow smoking. I'm contemplating starting a blog once the UPCA posts the official results of this year's contest. I plan to blog about my experience at this year's championship as well as my efforts to train for the World Championships in Portugal coming in October.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Birmingham0irish Said:

I'm sorry I missed the PipesMagazine.com party. Was it an invitation only event?
Actually it was the Smokingpipes.com 10th Anniversary party. It was open to all of the people attending the Chicago Pipe Show. No invite needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.