PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
oh man, Id love to make a pipe if I knew how.
I dont have cherry wood out back tho. Just a load of eucalyptus. Dont know how thatd leave ya with a good taste

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Soren. About any fruit wood works out pretty well for a pipe. I don't think that eucalyptus would taste all that good though.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Well Mr Phil you have 90% done bowl and a 50% done shank. The spirit moved me this evening.
No pictures. I like to make you wait. (actually I'm just too lazy right now.
Do you want the rainbow sticker on the front of the bowl or the side?

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
unclearthur,
I think you're right!
I'll have to find some fruit tree wood. Maybe my wife would let me finally cut down and dry that apple tree in the garden. Dont know what she needs 3 of them for haha.
Although, I think cherrywood sounds the best. Ill have to see if anyone sells it in the area.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
I know its not as cool as harvesting some from the backyard, but you guys should try some of this kiln-dried cherrywood. You could get at least 6 pipes from this $28 dollar hunk:
woodworkerssource
And don't be afraid to open up those stems with a tapered drill bit like this one ($11 for a long length 5/32) (stop about 1/4 inch from the bit and open the rest with a 1/16 drill bit in your drill press through the end of the stem). Preformed stems are usually pretty restricted:
jamestown
The hole in the stem should match the airhole in the wood, by the way. Any kind of non-smooth transition in the airway will lead to moisture, gurgling, etc. Best of luck!

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Sorry, if it is prebent maybe it is a replacement type stem that is ready to use as it is, instead of the stem "blank" kind of things I am used to which are made to be worked on prior to use. So, never mind ...
If I had to open a prebent, though, I would heat it up with a heatgun or candle and bend it back to flat (with a pipecleaner through the airway to keep it from collapsing), drill it, and then bend it back.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Good stuff Tim.
I'm using 2 inch cherry turning stock from Rockwell. Down to one pipes worth left. I think I'll order some 4 inch and start working on a one piece stummel. Although just ofr me I dont' mind the seperate shank.
Phil the one I'm makign you is all bored out. Might even be a Hemi in there.
I drilled out the premade forever stem from Walker Briar to 5/32, and drilled airway the same. The plumbing all seems to fit pretty good. Hell you might end up with a good smoking little pipe out of this exercise. Mostly be by luck and by god. But it's working out OK.
I think it's the hand carved hearts and arrows that really set it off.

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
Noice!
I have two types of Prunus trees (cherry) in my garden. You guys are making me want to harvest their branches haha

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Okeedoke. Here ya go Phil.
My friend Phil is from Iowa.

Corn comes from Iowa.

My friend Phil loves his corncob pipes.
So....for you Mr. Phil. an ode to the corn cob done in cherry.
A Cherry COB-bler, if you will
I'll get her in the mail Monday.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
Those are great looking pipes, guys. Phil, the picture of my pipe is now my computer's wallpper.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Hee hee.
A very poor golfer. However, I kick my wife's as just every night in wii Tiger Woods Golf. Does that count?
RJ

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I'm tellin ya I think your Monsieur Ropp reincarnated.
You're busy.
My day was spent turning a $20 Home Depot screen door into a half screen 3 panel door complete with doggy entrance and egress.
I did though sneak in a little time with the first pipe I made. After i did yours I realized how clumsy my other one was so it's back under the rasp and 60 grit sandpaper losing a good bit of wood.
I also snagged 3 "junkers" off ebay (Willard, Edwards, and Lane something or other). All in decent shape but I'm going to sacrifice them in the name of learning and take a hot rod vs. restoration approach. See just how cool looking and good smoking I can make them. Not like I'll be ruining some kind of pipe with value to anyone. And just maybe I'll end up with a future old friend.
I figure this is a good way to practice finishing and drilling etc.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
Just think, one day I can say "I have one os MASTERPIPEMAKER PHIL'S FIRST ORIGANL APPLEWOOD PIPES".

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Phil, I think your cracking/fitting issues is probably why they invented one-piece stummels (along with the fact that you want the airhole as close to the bottom of the bowl as possible). I was going to recommend some epoxy rather than banging it home, but a glue joint that close to the heat of the bowl is not going to hold up. So maybe take the next step into a one piece. Start with as square a piece of wood as you can make it, drill the airway first, and then drill the bowl down to meet it. Might take a drill press to get it centered (or better a small lathe if you have one), but any airway near the bottom should work.
If you plan to keep making pipes, this is where many of us started out:

Pimo Pipe Book

Status
Not open for further replies.