Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've never been brave enough to spend money on OTC blends like this. The ones that come to mind for me are Smoker's Pride and Super Value, but I know there are several like this on the market. Seems like the local gas stations and even Walgreens and Rite Aid, only sell 12oz bags of these OTC blends. My fear is, if it's so bad it's un-smokable, I'll be stuck with 11+ oz of crap tobacco. LOL

As for tobacco/cigar reviews, it's interesting to see how someone else experienced the tobacco/cigar. Of course, we know taste is subjective, so what one person enjoyed, you may dislike it. If you want to try tobaccos/cigars based off of reviews, then I suggest finding an individual that post reviews who seems to have a similar palate to yours and has similar experiences with the tobaccos/cigars you've had in common. That way you have a little more confidence when buying a tobacco/cigar. Of course it's not a guarantee that you'll enjoy it, but there's a better chance.

Reactions: Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I've never been brave enough to spend money on OTC blends like this. The ones that come to mind for me are Smoker's Pride and Super Value, but I know there are several like this on the market. Seems like the local gas stations and even Walgreens and Rite Aid, only sell 12oz bags of these OTC blends. My fear is, if it's so bad it's un-smokable, I'll be stuck with 11+ oz of crap tobacco. LOL

As for tobacco/cigar reviews, it's interesting to see how someone else experienced the tobacco/cigar. Of course, we know taste is subjective, so what one person enjoyed, you may dislike it. If you want to try tobaccos/cigars based off of reviews, then I suggest finding an individual that post reviews who seems to have a similar palate to yours and has similar experiences with the tobaccos/cigars you've had in common. That way you have a little more confidence when buying a tobacco/cigar. Of course it's not a guarantee that you'll enjoy it, but there's a better chance.
In my experience, the bags of these cheapo blends hanging behind the counter in smoke shops - the kind of shops that only have this stuff and maybe some pouches Captain Black - typically have been dangling there for a year or two, maybe more. In this time, they lose most of their desirable qualities as aromatics. The Smoker's Pride bags I've ordered straight from the source (P&C) have all been fresh and tasty. Didn't care for any of the Super Value blends besides the Bourbon Whiskey and English.

If you just want a really basic and uncomplicated aromatic burley or cavendish blend, I think you can't go wrong with the Smoker's Pride products, and a 14oz bag costs just a bit more than a small tin of the good stuff. They have no complexity, but burn well and taste pretty good.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I appreciate the positive things you said about Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish. I read some fairly negative reviews about it such as it's too wet, would bite, burn, have to be careful, etc. That was I read reviews as I waited for my first order to arrive. When I got my order, not only was it not wet, but was far from goopy, burned great, and didn't have any bite. I'm not sure how they were smoking it but I had no trouble. It's now become one of my favorite all day smokes. Thank you for your positive take on it.
My experience as well. None of the SP blends have been wet or goopy aside from the black cavendish. The Vanilla can burn a bit hot though when it's dried out.

Reactions: Tate

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Thanks for the review. This one is made by Sutliff, meaning it's probably the same thing as their Super Value Cherry. If that's the case, I'd have to give it a miss.

I actually like some of these cheap bagged tobaccos a lot, mainly the ones made by Lane/STG. I know snobs will look down their nose at these blends, but sometimes I just don't want complexity - just an easy smoking aromatic that isn't wet and tastes good. If all I had was a corn cob and a big bag of butter rum flavored burley, I think I'd be perfectly happy smoking that all the time. Sometimes simplicity is best.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m smoking a bowl of this right now in a Five Star Lee.

First, more expensive pipes from the old makers such as Kaywoodie, Lee, and Weber have better and tighter grain. They smoke better and cooler, not quite on par with a Marxman, but excellent.

But as to tobacco, if it reads premium pipe tobacco (not RYO grade) there’s really not any bad premium pipe tobacco on the market.

This blend isn’t candy sweet.

You can taste tart cherries.

It’s aromatic, but in the way the old standard drugstore blends were aromatic, not obviously.

It has a wonderful room note, say my legal assistants.

It’s different than most cotton candy sweet bagged blends.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
How does Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish compare to Cult BRM? What about Borkum Riff’s Cherry Cavendish?

Only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the 12oz bag.

Reactions: Tate

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
How does Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish compare to Cult BRM? What about Borkum Riff’s Cherry Cavendish?

Only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the 12oz bag.

Maybe Smoker Friendly has Cherry in the 1 1/2 ounce $5 size pouch.

This isn’t Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish, which is a cotton candy sweet aro bomb. So is Cult BRM.

Borkum Riff Cherry to my taste is less sweet and candy flavored.

But Smoker Friendly Cherry is sort of like Middleton’s Cherry Blend, a smooth, mild, not overly sweet all day tobacco that tastes somewhat like tart cherries.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Maybe Smoker Friendly has Cherry in the 1 1/2 ounce $5 size pouch.

This isn’t Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish, which is a cotton candy sweet aro bomb. So is Cult BRM.

Borkum Riff Cherry to my taste is less sweet and candy flavored.

But Smoker Friendly Cherry is sort of like Middleton’s Cherry Blend, a smooth, mild, not overly sweet all day tobacco that tastes somewhat like tart cherries.
I was attracted to your description of Smoker’s Pride Cherry Vavendish. I’m an unabashed sweet aro. Lover.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
I was attracted to your description of Smoker’s Pride Cherry Vavendish. I’m an unabashed sweet aro. Lover.
First pipe tobacco I ever smoked was Middleton's Cherry Blend. Wish I could find some now.
In Dec, I added a tin of Mac Baren Cherry Ambrosia to a TAD. Haven't cracked it yet .... letting it age. Kind of bought it for nostalgia but am also looking forward to whenever I do open it. Reviews seem mixed.
1708231981836.png

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A year of leaving the bag open has really improved this blend, if you like mild, burley forward, tart cherry flavored tobaccos.

A year later there is a little less tart cherry, more nutty burley, and it’s all just as smooth as Ernest Tubb’s version of Fraulien.

You know you’re a hillbilly singer deluxe when they request Fraulien, and you ask the Hank Locklin, or the ET version, and you can sing both.:)

Hank Locklin goes way up high, on his:

There would be less grief and sorrow in this old sin cussed world today, if more children had a grandmother with tart pie cherry trees and a piano to teach the grandkids Fraulien.:)

My cousins could all sing the Kitty Wells answer song, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassman65

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
A year of leaving the bag open has really improved this blend, if you like mild, burley forward, tart cherry flavored tobaccos.

A year later there is a little less tart cherry, more nutty burley, and it’s all just as smooth as Ernest Tubb’s version of Fraulien.

You know you’re a hillbilly singer deluxe when they request Fraulien, and you ask the Hank Locklin, or the ET version, and you can sing both.:)

Hank Locklin goes way up high, on his:

There would be less grief and sorrow in this old sin cussed world today, if more children had a grandmother with tart pie cherry trees and a piano to teach the grandkids Fraulien.:)

My cousins could all sing the Kitty Wells answer song, too.

I tell people that some blends I leave open for literal months to years. And I feel like some don't believe me. My Carter Hall gets decanted into a fancy glass jar, with no seal on the lid; just so that it will dry out enough to smoke.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
If you get a Cherry wood pipe from Ropp, hot smoke it and you might think you are smoking Cherry flavoured Tobacco, old Ropps are cheap in the UK so we can experiment, I'm not going to try it. :ROFLMAO:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Way back near the beginning I got a bag of this and worked on smoking it - in my pear wood pipes...

I finally wised up, gave the bag away, and bought briar pipes. Those pipes, hanging out on my counter in my shop, a few years later still give a whiff of cherry if I pick them up and sniff.

Now that I'm all high-brow :ROFLMAO: (see another thread) I hope I never have to try and smoke it again.
But I was also gifted a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon. I only made it through one bowl of that before popping it into a jar (cherry pie filling) and placing it in the back row on a shelf.

I love cherry pie. I guess not so much in my pipe though...

Jul 12, 2011
I always liked Boswell's aromatic blends, very well done and you don't have to ring out your pipe after smoking it - If you want to Amp it up a bit you can always fold in a bit of good Burley

~ Boswell's Black Cherry
~ Boswell's Cherry Vanilla
~ Cherry Smash
~ PA Dutch Treat

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
So , first try of the Smoker’s Pride Rum Cured was ok. Might have left it out too long. Packed it yesterday, but only got to it today. Never had a tobacco burn so fast. lol. Stuff burnt like gunpowder 😂. Didn’t get a lot of rum flavor. Was more cigarette tasting than I was expecting, but I’m not usually a burley smoker. I will definitely try it again with a fresh load.