Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
Hello, I recently browsed Pipesandcigars and found a really great looking pipe i will buy, anyway i checked the "under 50$" category and found sum descent looking pipes there, but i never had a pipe like Dr. Grabow or Kaywoodie e.t.c... Anyone tried those? I was thinking of adding one of them to my basket but the price had me thinking about their quality.

The cheapest pipes i tried are (excluding cobs) a Ronson Conan for about 75€ and a Viking for 35€, they smoke great, but for 25$ I'm really unsure. :puffpipe:

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have 4 older Kaywoodies and 1 Grabow that I bought about 10 years ago. They are all solid pipes. Nothing stellar but all solid. The big transition is that they are all a little smaller than you might be used to. Smaller bowls and smaller airways. I've opened up a few just so I don't have to use Falcon cleaners.
I keep the Grabow Omega in the car as an emergency pipe.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I like my Grabow pipes and find them to be great values. There is, however, a nasty bowl coating that needs to be smoked through and caked over. After that they're fine. My favorite is probably the Savoy.

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
I hate bowl coating.. I use my pipe scraper to remove that nasty stuff from a new pipe before i smoke it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've become boring even to myself saying so, but there are a great many fine pipes at lower prices. I wouldn't say

they were cheap because that denotes poor quality; as we know there are a world of a cheap pipes -- clumsily

carved or manufactured, with cheap stems that chew through in a year or two, poor off-center drilling, thin

bowls, etc., just cheap, poorly made pipes. But there are many, many lower priced pipes that are excellent,

well above their price point in quality. I recommend the Dr. Grabow Royalton, which has a handsomely shaped

bowl and acrylic stem, and looks classy to me. Iwan Ries Exclusives are excellent pipes made by Benton in USA

and these come in compact and medium sizes, made of good briar; I like mine so much, I call them Chicago

Dunhills, for Iwan Ries' location, or Texas Dunhills for Bentons'. tobaccopipes.com has a good supply of

Chapuis-Comoy briar pipes; the inventory is a little thin, but look for the "Add to Cart" icon to show which ones

they have in stock, plenty to choose from. Iwan Ries also has PTM Amadeus, good, light weight Greek briars,

well made and smooth smoking. Unfinished Savenelli''s at Cup O Joes go for $44 and finish themselves to a

beautiful golden brown. Since these are all quite low cost, I recommend them to any new pipe smoker, to go

with some cobs, for a complete rotation, or for experienced pipe smokers to keep in the car or to fill out the

rack with fine smoking pipes at a good price. The real poor quality cheapies, leave them alone.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I got a Butz Choquin for around $50 and it was a much better pipe than the $40 Grabow I would advise you to save ten more bucks and get a B/C or Stanwell.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I have 4 DG and 4 Woodies and love them all. The Grabow and Kaywoodie were the first few pipes in my collection. I think they are indeed solid pipes like others have said. Just remove the paper filter from the Grabow, they get nasty fast. Only down side to the kaywoodies are stems over turning if you crank on them, I never done that. However they come not quite lined up due to some folks over turning them over time.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I look for new Kaywoodies anytime I am at a tobacco shop. You rarely see them and when you do it's usually the lower end ones. I have never seen a Flame Grain out at a B&M.

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
What's up with the Yello-bole and Medico pipes?

To be honest i would not trust a 15 dollar pipe... But i did not trust cobs at first cause of their price but they smoke heavenly after all!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The biggie is that the cheapest Medico & Yello-boles aren't made with briar but with Brylon. I am not sure if the flames of Hell smoke as hot as Brylon. It seems like everything around here has some champions but tune them out on this one. Brylon is a composite of pure evilness.

Status
Not open for further replies.