PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
I have been thinking on this topic as of late while smoking and contemplating what troubles might arise for new adopters of our noble hobby. Here are some of my thoughts.
Tongue bite can be caused by a few different things: Chemical disagreements between a blend and your mouth, blend moisture, and poor technique. We can't do much about the first; the second is usually an easy fix; but what about the third?
In my estimation, poor technique (for the most part) stems from some sort of unfounded paranoia about a pipe going out. If the fear of a relight isn't the culprit, generally it's puffing too aggressively to either generate an "acceptable" volume of smoke, or an "acceptable" degree of flavor. Any of these is folly, and leads to a vicious cycle of heat, discomfort and disappointment.
The story goes something like this: A beginner lights his or her pipe, puffs for a bit, and eventually the pipe begins to go out. Not wanting the pipe to go out, the smoker puffs more aggressively. Tongue bite starts to set-in. The pipe goes out and the beginner relights, probably more and more aggressively as he or she gets frustrated. Repeat until tongue falls out of mouth.
This is happening because as a pipe begins to go out, only part of the ember remains lit. Aggressive puffing causes the small portion of tobacco that IS lit to burn too hot. You may get the desired volume of smoke for a time, but from a smaller portion of the tobacco burning - it is overheated and you are receiving hot smoke.
Once you begin to burn your tongue by oversmoking, there really is no going back if you continue the cycle of poor technique. Relights get hotter and hotter as the bowl goes on, and the tobacco is burnt unevenly. No flavor will you ever encounter.
As such, my advice for beginners is this:
1. Light accurately, tamp, true-light softly - puff slowly.

2. If you're not getting the volume of smoke you desire and believe it is because your ember is fading, touch your pipe with a lighter or match gently, even BEFORE it has gone out.

3. If/when your pipe goes out, take a moment to think before torching it again. How does your mouth feel right now? Does it need a rest or a beverage? Do I need to let some saliva build up in my mouth to sooth some of this heat?

4. Tobacco that is being burnt by a flame directly (in my opinion), doesn’t taste great. On relights, puff while lighting as needed, but get that smoke out of your mouth as quickly as you can because that aggressive over-burnt taste can linger. Once the pipe is lit properly, then start sipping and tasting.

5. The catch-22 is, relights are when a lot of tongue bite can happen. Don’t be afraid of them, but rest before relighting if you need to or relight before you think you need to.

6. Less time is needed under the flame for a relight while the tobacco is still warm. Relight more gently than you do for an initial light.
I hope this information is found useful for at least some of the beginners out there who are struggling to enjoy their pipes.
Happy smoking,
Tom

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Great advice. I'll definitely second that, if the ember is going out, let it go out and rest it for a bit, or rest your mouth for a bit. Relighting is fine, but doing it too often can definitely hurt. Resting is a wonderful thing. Let the bowl cool right off before a relight, your tongue may thank you later.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
That remaining hot little ember in the bowl is the worst. A telltale sign is a thin wisp of smoke coming up from just one part of the bowl. Prod the ash a bit and you'll see it. I usually tamp it out before a relight.
One other thing that will help new pipe smokers (it sure helped me), is make sure you've left your tobacco out to dry a bit before packing. Tongue bite usually happens from steam, and steam comes from wet tobacco. You'll rarely get smoke hot enough to burn your tongue (unless you puff like a freight train), but steam will do it every time. Drier tobacco equals less steam, and it also equals less relights. Ever tried lighting a camp fire during the morning dew?

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
I just bought some SWR and its as dry or drier than cigarettes. And it seems like you cannot pack the pipe correctly because it is too dry. But I do like the taste.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those tips are spot on. My tongue bite virtually disappeared when I learned to light my pipe with a match and just give the tobacco a kiss of flame
I can only add, include a few Peterson P-lip pipes (or their facsimiles) on your rack, they are tongue-bite proof.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks for the post Tom. This is the kind of post we need our new pipe smokers to find.
I've got one question. From time to time I'll find that just the very center of the pipe is burning and will burn down leaving the sides unburned. At which point I need to push the sides to the middle and relight.
What's the best way to avoid this and is pushing the unburned outer part into the middle the right move?
Thanks

May 4, 2015
What's the best way to avoid this and is pushing the unburned outer part into the middle the right move?
It's your tobacco, so if pushing in from the outside is working and you're still getting good flavor, I say press on.
I will say that I've smoked many a bowl that do just that and they've been some of the best smokes I've had. A very cool center ember that's giving me some excellent flavor. Usually this happens with rubbed out flakes and coarser cuts of tobacco, for me. I don't see anything wrong with it. If you've trying to avoid it, though, a much more precise initial light may be the way to go. Make sure you've got the whole thing cooking before you settle in.
99% of the time, I'll just resist the urge to fight it and let it smoke how it's going to smoke, to be honest.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yeah that's funny it has been with rubbed out flakes and even a cube cut or 2.
I think I should try to catch it early and try to get there rest lit but I agree it seems to be a pretty cool enjoyable smoke.
The problem with the push to the middle is that if I'm not careful i think it can end up packing it too tightly.

May 4, 2015
Yes. A rule. And of it's not followed, the offender will be tracked down and punished.
Or it's a good will suggestion and an attempt at being helpful. Or that.
Your game is tired, old chap.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"now there's even a rule for the "correct" way to light up."
He never stated it was written in stone, he was simply offering up some suggestions based upon personal experience to newcomers, I personally think that is laudable, not something to be derided whatever your personal views on the subject.
Regards,
Jay.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
From time to time I'll find that just the very center of the pipe is burning and will burn down leaving the sides unburned. At which point I need to push the sides to the middle and relight.
This happens to me a lot. Like Tom said, sometimes just roll with it, sometimes a little light push works wonders. I'm usually in the light push camp. I think the key is to just move the tobacco from the edge toward center and not really tamp it. This should avoid over pack.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yup had a nice bowl going last night of F&T Special brown flake where it burned in the middle. A little push in around the edges once in a while and it was smoking like a champ. Almost finished the whole bowl without relights.
It's amazing that after smoking a pipe off and on for the past 30 years I'm still a newbie. I had a several false starts but wish I stuck with it when I first started.

May 4, 2015
Almost finished the whole bowl without relights.
It's nice when a plan comes together. As my original little write-up indicated, relights aren't bad necessarily, but they can increase your chances of oversmoking and burning yourself up, in my experience. At the very least, relighting a bunch doesn't do much to help the flavor. If you can maintain a constant smolder throughout, you get more flavor longer - and I think that's the goal!

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I've got one question. From time to time I'll find that just the very center of the pipe is burning and will burn down leaving the sides unburned. At which point I need to push the sides to the middle and relight.
In my experience, I've gotten a line of ash right down the center of the pipe (and unburned tobacco to the outsides) when I am sipping too hard. When I first started, dragging on the pipe like I would a cigar was my problem. When I eased up on the sipping velocity, it gave the outsides a better chance of smouldering.
Also in my experience, tongue bite has been from sipping too hard, not from overly wet tobacco. Even dry tobacco produces moisture as a byproduct of combustion, and excess moisture if the combustion is too quick.

May 4, 2015
Dry tobacco does produce moisture as a byproduct, but I think is (generally) preferable to overly wet which produces steam more directly.
Also, as Russ O. has pointed out, steam from overly wet tobacco can dilute the flavor of a blend, so it's not necessarily preferable even if it's not biting you.
I have been bitten by overly wet tobacco (Squadron Leader, I'm looking at you). With some dry time, the bite went away. Since the moisture was the only variable that I can think of - must have been the excess water they ship with.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Drawing the flame towards the tobacco such that the superheated air beyond the tip is what lights the tobacco is a splendid idea. A "softer" light, and less chance of scorching the rim.
Simply a fine tip, not a rule. Try to keep up!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Simply a fine tip, not a rule."
So pleased it isn't a rule John else you would have folks jumping on you for declaring what must be done to enjoy a pipe :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.