Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Has anyone run into these new charcoal filter bags that supposedly clean the air of musty odors? One brand goes by the name of NatureFresh, and is made from banana tree ashes. Do they work? More importantly, do they lessen pipe tobacco smoke?

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
Bamboo charcoal I use this for years and years as water purifier in my tea water cooker. :col:
A few of the bags you showed in your car or better in your wife's car. ;)

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Has anyone run into these new charcoal filter bags that supposedly clean the air of musty odors? One brand goes by the name of NatureFresh, and is made from banana tree ashes. Do they work? More importantly, do they lessen pipe tobacco smoke?
You can tell this is a gimmick because it begs the question, why banana trees? Sounds like something they'd sell in Earth Fare marts at outrageous prices to get the "environmentally conscious" to feel better about themselves.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah the activated charcoal works. Not sure how well with smoke as I have not tried it. But they get rid of the nasty smells in small places.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A fresh opened can of coffee will suck up the reek of a corpse pretty quickly until its satiated. Charcoal would probably do the same. But both become satiated quickly which is why the filters need regular changing, I susect, if you are a regular smoker, a couple bowls a day in a room, that you would go through the banana crap pretty quickly. It would probably eat into your blend budget pretty fast.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
A fresh opened can of coffee will suck up the reek of a corpse pretty quickly until its satiated. Charcoal would probably do the same. But both become satiated quickly which is why the filters need regular changing, I susect, if you are a regular smoker, a couple bowls a day in a room, that you would go through the banana crap pretty quickly. It would probably eat into your blend budget pretty fast.
the charcoal bag I have just needs a few hours in direct sunlight to work again. Honestly no idea why that works but my experience confirms it does. Not sure how tars would effect that process though.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Not new - Use them in closets, shoes, cars - they aren't as effective as marketed - they work but aren't great -you get better results using fans with them - and eventually the ADsorb most of the odor/voc's and you need to get new ones.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
the charcoal bag I have just needs a few hours in direct sunlight to work again. Honestly no idea why that works but my experience confirms it does. Not sure how tars would effect that process though.
They work by Adsorbing the molecules into the carbon pockets - when in sun it is released - but eventually it becomes so saturated that you need a new one

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
They work by Adsorbing the molecules into the carbon pockets - when in sun it is released - but eventually it becomes so saturated that you need a new one
I thought it was something like that, but if we're going by what I know it might as well just be magic. Also the sun would kill certain bacteria too. So I assume that's part of it.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
That carbon 'aint cheap - I have an air purifier that uses that stuff - it's $250 for the refill - Some people make their own by burning coconut shells - or by re burning the saturated stuff- DANGEROUSLY FLAMMABLE