PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks to Piffyr and Georged for advice on dealing with that @#!$@$ Charatan CP stem stamp!
This one caught my eye for two reasons

- a rare shape (most Charatans are freehands)

- no double comfort
Most Charatan bulldogs are of the smaller variety as well, this one is only 38 grams, bonus!
Here's the full write-up at Reborn pipes

https://rebornpipes.com/2018/01/14/charatan-special-bulldog-restoration-1955-1960/
Before
charatan_08_special_before-1.jpg

charatan_08_special_before-4.jpg

After
charatan_08_special_finish_01.jpg

charatan_08_special_finish_02.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Nice Al. What I would call a stout (not in terms of weight, but style), blunt bowed bulldog! :)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Very nice pipe Al. I think you did a great job on the resto, and I also agree with you that their traditional shapes aren't all the common. I've yet to get a Charatan unless you count my Tinder Box Unique, which is an apple shape that I am very attached to. I have no idea what period of Charatan pipes it comes from though. Hope you really enjoy that one!

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Al, this is a lovely pipe.
dsc04213-600x523.jpg

The Special quality was around in 1951 as shown, and this was the largest size of the Bulldog shape no. 8
dsc04234-600x564.jpg

I think that the mouthpiece is hand-cut. I have learnt that the clue is that the saddle 'step' is sharp and 90 degrees rather than curved (a photo of the bite opening would confirm this).

I was thinking that there may be someone out there who could etch the Cp a little deeper and then fill the stamp with Crayola white wax and wipe away the surplus. I think that Reubin Charatan first used Crayola wax for the logos in 1910. I do know that the Crayola company was founded in 1903.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Ken! I'll add that info to the blog entry at Reborn Pipes.
I drive by the Crayola Factory in Easton PA quite frequently, but I've never stopped to take the tour. Perhaps one day with my granddaughter.

http://www.crayolaexperience.com/easton

Status
Not open for further replies.