Charatan Authentic Pipes: Can Their Image be Rehabilitated?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Randy Wiley Pipes
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Accessories
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
@ashdigger, I posted the hyperlink to that pipe that shows up if you hit "now" in the first sentence. Compare the size of that pipe with the 42 Supreme that is on eBay at this link
I consider the Supreme to be a pipe that would have been very desirable when I was active as representing the best of the true Giants, though someone has now put a replacement Lucite stem on it. I never saw a Selected or Supreme 42 the size of the Authentic, though I did see oversized billiards stamped FH, Made by Hand or Made by Hand in the City of London in those grades.

Oct 7, 2016
@ashdigger, I didn't realize that contrast in the link would be so weak. After posting, I could barely see it myself.
The interesting thing to me is that after seeing a very few Authentics in the early 80's, I never saw another one AFAIK until they started showing up on eBay in the late 90's. I have not actually held one in my hand for about 35 years! All sorts of things emerged in the early days of eBay.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Oldgeezersmoker, thanks for reviving this thread. When I started this discussion a year ago (I suspect it is nearer two) I had hoped knowledgeable folk would chime in. Now they have. Your recollections strike me as clearer than those of Ms. Ryan, and if Mr. Barnes recalls the Authentic being a pre-Dunhill line, then they are certainly saved from the aspersions cast by Ryan.
The Authentic currently up for sale is much larger than either of mine.

Oct 7, 2016
@buroak, thank you for starting the thread! I had no idea of its existence until this morning when the pipe on eBay caught my eye. It is a larger piece than is usual for shape numbers in any grade in my experience, and I suspect it is a later - in a relative sense - piece, though I would not hazard a guess as to when it was made. BTW, I do not mean to place that pipe in a negative light in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.