Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't need to change your mind because McClelland is no longer made and you're welcome to your opinion. I am a huge McClelland fan but I also like a number of other Virginia blends. Even if McClelland were still in business today, I would still be smoking Sir John's Flake Virginia every morning along with Pfeifen Huber Virginia Golden Flake and F&T CVP most days. Most days, I have one bowl of a McClelland Virginia blend. For me, nothing matches the tin note of a McClelland Virginia. You either love it or hate it I think. And nothing else matches the cinnamon, syrupy sweetness while being full bodied like a McClelland Virginia.

That's my opinion, experience or perception. By no means does that obligate anyone else to feel the same way. I do believe the majority of Purist Hard Core Pipe Smoking Virginia Lovers would have a place in their rotation for McClelland Virginias were they still readily available. Unfortunately, due to the lack of high quality Red Virginia Leaf and the proprietary processes McClelland employed, I seriously doubt the unique smell and flavor of McClelland will ever be reproduced or even anything remotely close to it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
To be fair to them. I don't remember them being that hyped when McClelland was readily available. It was even referred to as ketchup by some.
To be even fairer, or more objective, not many things are hyped when they are readily available at a fair market price. However, to your statement, no question McClelland has become more beloved and legendary since shutting down. Kind of similar to how some people achieve the same status after they pass.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
McClelland had a house style that was unique to them that so far no other house has been able to replicate. Does that make it better or worse than any other blender with a unique house style for their VAs? No. Just makes them different.

Some people like whiskies made by Jim Beam. Some like whiskies made by Buffalo Trace. Some like both. Some like neither. Some will pay exorbitant prices to get their hands on them. Some won't spend a dime on them.

I bought and smoked McClelland blends before they shut down and really enjoyed them, and I was sad when they closed shop because I enjoyed their products. And I have purchased some after for what some may call "inflated" secondary prices. But the pricing was something that I could justify considering the amount of smokes and enjoyment I got from them, and it was only a couple of tins that I ration judiciously. They are occasional treats that I enjoy.

But like tastes, that is also subjective to each individual.

If you think McClelland is "Okay-ish", then I wish you well on your journey of finding something that is truly great to your tastes. We're all different and we all like different things.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
To be even fairer, or more objective, not many things are hyped when they are readily available at a fair market price. However, to your statement, no question McClelland has become more beloved and legendary since shutting down. Kind of similar to how some people achieve the same status after they pass.
I agree with this sentiment. Comparing the perceived hype back then to the hype of today is an unfair way to judge it. If people weren't as vocal back then it could be for any number of reasons and most of those reasons would have nothing to do with the tobacco not being highly favored. And today's hype makes total sense. Part of the human condition is to wax poetic about the unavailable. Nostalgia and loss are powerful.