Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Cosmic nailed it.

But also, McClelland made lots of blends within several genres.

What have you tried?
My guess is a tiny fraction of their repertoire.

Reactions: Winnipeger

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
They made a lot of blends that are that are terrific, a lot of blends that were okay, and a lot of blends that didn't suit me. Just like all manufacturers did. Mike and Mary really carved a niche for themselves in the business.

Reactions: jbfrady

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I'd switch out McClelland for Esoterica, but I have the taste buds of an amoeba ATM.

Love me some McClelland Reds though...

Reactions: jbfrady

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Lots of folks who aren't Red VA fans in particular will say that McC was just OK. But among those who prefer Red VA above all else, a very high proportion will say that McC's were unique and above average.

Christmas Cheer, 40th Ann. (which was basically a better Christmas Cheer), 2015 (for a Red VaPer), etc. were exquisite for Reds.
5100 had an enormous following, and it was good, but I myself would take the above (including 2015) over it.

In other genres, McC did not stand out quite so much. Still very solid, it's just that Red VAs where their specialty.

Although I will say that within the wide world of latakia blends, the Frog Morton series hit the sweet spot for me.

Reactions: jbfrady and yanoJL

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
So.. Did it happened before, during or after the smoke? Usually it takes whole tin and maybe little more to form that type of opinion. I mean even the most awful smelling blend can improve over time in a jar. You sure it wasn't premature ejaculation conclusion?

• Haha
Reactions: Ash Cooper

Ash Cooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2023
Greenville, SC
www.instagram.com
I've only tried maybe half a dozen [none were Frog Morton] and I've never had a tin of my own. I don't remember which they were in particular but I remember liking them well enough, but not enough to seek them out.

I posted this in good fun, but also to create a discussion to see how others compare the hype versus reality, but if it results in my being offered samples, it ain't in me to say no.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I've only tried maybe half a dozen [none were Frog Morton] and I've never had a tin of my own. I don't remember which they were in particular but I remember liking them well enough, but not enough to seek them out.

I posted this in good fun, but also to create a discussion to see how others compare the hype versus reality, but if it results in my being offered samples, it ain't in me to say no.
Good fun all around :)

• Love
Reactions: Ash Cooper