PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
So I’ve read a lot (particularly in @JimInks revised reviews) about recent changes to many of the Wessex blends. I am curious, does anyone know (even roughly) when these changes occured?

I recently came in possession of a tin each of Wessex Red VA Flake, Brown VA Flake, and Gold VA Flake, all from 2013 (square tins).

I opened and smoked some of the Gold first, and thoroughly enjoyed it. What I want to know, is if I choose to buy a stash of the modern version of any of these flakes to lay down for a while, am I buying the same blends?

It would be great to know, as if they are the same I will open the older ones and smoke them, while laying down some new ones. If not, I will likely save them as a special treat to open later, and pop one of the newer ones to evaluate its aging potential.

Thanks!

Frank

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The changes to blends seem to be an ongoing process, going back as far as 2019, when K&K changed Director’s Cut and other blends in their portfolio. If seems to have accelerated since then.
It’s not like this is a new thing. Escudo has undergone several changes under STG, Curly Block was significantly altered when STG took over manufacture, acquiring a burley bullseye, Doblone d’Oro stopped being a Va/Per Three Nuns clone by 2018, etc, etc, etc.

The Virginia base for some of the Esoterica blends changed in 2020.

My advice is try a tin of “Whatsis” and if you like it, stock up before it changes again.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Agreeing with sable, 2019 seems to have been a year that saw a lot of variation from then onward. For several different brands.

Reactions: Rockyrepose