PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm looking to add a couple more kitchen knives to augment my German stainless steel ones and wondered about investing in a few ceramic blades.

Apparently they're much harder than steel (8.5 mohs compared to 4.5 mohs) but of course they're brittle. Also I hear they keep their edge for much longer but as for sharpening, I hear folk have had trouble in getting the factory fresh cutting edge that the knife came with.

I saw some in a shop some years ago and they were indeed razor sharp but I wasn't impressed with the garish colours.....they were orange, pink, sky blue etc :rolleyes:.

So, does anyone have any opinions on ceramic knives, good or bad?

Jay.

Reactions: PaulRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I use Zwilling and Henckels knives over 40 of them total and almost exclusively for butchering game and general kitchen use.
The wife has her own set so mine stay sharp.
Pro series and forged blades.
As far as Sharpening I have basic rods both steel and ceramic and a paper wheel sharpener and all keep a sharp edge. The ceramics seem ok but I’ve stuck with what I know because it works for me.
The couple of ceramics I actually have don't hold an edge and take a lot of work to keep one sharp after minimal use.
They are what I grab for utility work to save an edge on my forged blades.
I do however intend to get some Japanese forged blades atleast a Chef’s knife and a Santoku. We have a couple of Chefs here on the forums so hopefully they will chime in.

53D0BD45-4D3E-47E3-BA60-066B8EED5D8F.jpeg

Last edited:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
If you'd like to add some diversity to your German stainless cutlery, I'd recommend some Japanese carbon steel.
If you are on Facebook, there are groups that focus on buying/selling kitchen cutlery. Some are based in the UK too, so you can get a good deal.

I've bought a couple pieces from THIS SHOP based in Canada. Great service.

I have a few zirconium oxide tools in my studio, which is what they are marketing as "ceramic." They are not actual clay based ceramics. Zirconium oxide is just a very hard sintered tool. Being harder than most people knife sharpening systems, of course people are going to have problems. However, they can be sharpened with a diamond based sharpening system. I use one like this...
1710859302281.png

You can get a set up like this for about $20 to 40 from Amazon, and they work great. I can shave my arm after using any knife on this type of system. And, it will keep your zirconium oxide knives razor sharp.

The knives don't hold odors, so onions won't scent stain your knives. They also do not ever rust. You can just leave it outside if you wanted. They also keep their edge for a very long time, because you could cut veggies like a Japanese sous chef on a granite surface and it will stay razor sharp.

They are light and handle like a dream. But, you will only be able to use a diamond sharpening system, but these systems also work great on all of your knives.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm looking to add a couple more kitchen knives to augment my German stainless steel ones and wondered about investing in a few ceramic blades.

Apparently they're much harder than steel (8.5 mohs compared to 4.5 mohs) but of course they're brittle. Also I hear they keep their edge for much longer but as for sharpening, I hear folk have had trouble in getting the factory fresh cutting edge that the knife came with.

I saw some in a shop some years ago and they were indeed razor sharp but I wasn't impressed with the garish colours.....they were orange, pink, sky blue etc :rolleyes:.

So, does anyone have any opinions on ceramic knives, good or bad?

Jay.
opinion depends on how often you use it. They're really not meant to be honed or sharpened according to what I've heard. I like them for knifes that aren't used daily. For regular use they can go home and leave me alone. I use a chefs knife for everything and just sharpen it myself Wusthof by the way, which I've had since 2000 or so. Used to be my work knife as a prep cook. Still going strong. Have thrown away much less used ceramics in that time. If you don't mind being wasteful and replacing them every few years or hardly touch them the ceramics are fine I guess.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Rahven is a Swiss company that sells high impact ceramic knives. Looks like a chefs knife is about $75. They are supposed to be quite durable, though some folks report them still snapping occasionally. I think I'll stick to German and Japanese steel knives.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Not a fan of ceramic. I like Wustoff if want a nice knife.

But for workhorses my wife and I have a side catering business so we use either WinCo True Forged or Victorinox with Fibrox handles or Dexter with their equivalent handle. These are all NSF rated which is important in food service. These knives can be abused and take sanitization easily. Cheap and honeable/sharpenable they have decent stainless steel and keep an edge a long time. Grab a magnetic steel and hone every time and you'll have no issues. Plus their grip is excellent with hands when they are wet or covered in blood. I use these when butchering whole game and am thankful for that grip.

Reactions: PaulRVA and Sigmund

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
I remember the same complaint once being bandied about (pre-internet) how much harder it is to sharpen a stainless steel blade versus carbon-steel. I suppose it's all a matter of relativity of materials familiar to those unfamiliar. ???
I have a few "new" age hard steels like S90V and those are very hard to sharpen without the right stones. 440C stainless is high carbon and sharpens easily and so is VG10. The stainless that does not sharpen well are cheaper stainless knifes. Even the new CrMoV steels sharpen easily and are stainless.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Cheaper stainless knives are trash. Brittle and almost impossible to sharpen. When my wife and I go to visit and make family for dinners we bring our knives.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
If you'd like to add some diversity to your German stainless cutlery, I'd recommend some Japanese carbon steel.
If you are on Facebook, there are groups that focus on buying/selling kitchen cutlery. Some are based in the UK too, so you can get a good deal.

I've bought a couple pieces from THIS SHOP based in Canada. Great service.
Hitachi Blue and White steels are very good. Watch for single or double bevel. I have this steel in traditional Japanese single bevel styles and you need to sharpen differently. All have to be oil with mineral oil to avoid flash rust.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon