PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Is there a difference between "cellaring" and "aging"? Or, are the terms synonymous?
As a newbie, I have assumed that cellaring is akin to stockpiling for the upcoming apocalypse, like one might do with food, water, and ammo. I especially get this perception when I see some of the photos members have posted of their stashes. Holy smokes!
And aging, I have assumed when this term is brought up that stored tobacco gets better with age, like wine and men. IS that true? I know tobacco is aged before it is sold. But, does it get better with age after it is sold?
Right now I've spent close to $100 on small tins and pouches of tobacco. I am in the process of trying many different varieties. blends, and flavors to find the ones I like best. I have no idea which ones I what to invest in for the long term.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good question; a hundred answers. Search for articles by GL Pease. There are also many discussions of it in the forum.
As to difference in terms, sometimes they are synonymous, other times maybe not; depends on context.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I make a distinction between the 2 terms
Cellaring: I cellar any tobacco that might degrade over time. This would be any aromatic or anything with Latakia in it. I place these tobaccos into mason jars or mylar bags with an O2 absorber.
Aging: For tobacco that will improve with age such as a Virginia or tobaccos with lots of sugars added I let these age in the tin ( or a mason jar).

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have always looks at the two terms as being slightly different. One term discibes the tobacco, the other term discribes the place the tobacco is stored. For example, I am aging my tobacco in my cellar.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cabinfever, first off welcome to the forum :puffy:
Regards your questions, you pretty much already know the answers. In my view, cellaring is hoarding tobacco for whatever reason whereas ageing tobacco is specifically storing it with the sole purpose of that tobacco improving over time.
The two are not direct synonyms, rather like beef and veal are both cow meat but are distinctly different otherwise.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For brevity, what jitterbug' said. Also, if you're aging something, you don't open the jar or other container.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cellaring: stashing stuff that you like.
Aging: keeping it sealed for improvements over time. Overlaps with Cellaring.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Mostly synonymous, with cellaring more closely linked to hoarding and aging just being the result of tobaccos sitting unopened of periods of time.
As to whether tobaccos improve with age, that's a matter of personal taste. Tobaccos change with age. Virginias can be come sweeter, tangier, and/or more pronounced in flavor. The fruity notes in Perique can become more pronounced. Latakias lose pungency. Toppings can fade, which is why aros aren't good candidates for long term aging. Some smokers love these changes, some do not. Some smokers like certain blends when young and others when aged. It's a matter of personal preferences than a "one size fits all" rule.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Your tastes will develope and change over time. I'd wouldn't go overboard stock piling until you get a feel for the blends you'll keep coming back to.
For years I only smoked aro's and Virginia's. I didn't like Lat blends. I only smoke Lat bombs nowadays.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Each member here could pontificate on this forever. Everything I have is in my cellar and it is all aging as we speak.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Everything I have is in my cellar and it is all aging as we speak."
Not necessarily so if the term ageing is being used to describe tobacco that is being stored for the sole purpose of improving its flavour as you will never know if it has improved unless you open it up.
Yes it is ageing inasmuch as it is getting older though.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.