Cellaring...How Much Should a Person Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
When pipe smoking meets an obsessive compulsive person, it often spells trouble.
Moderation hasn't necessarily ever been my strongest trait, but a little OCD here and there has actually served me well in a few instances.
Regarding the cellar - I probably have more money than brains, so practicing some restraint and not getting too ahead of myself is a recurring thought. While wanting to ensure I'll be able to enjoy something that offers pleasure and relaxation far into the future, I don't want anxiety to rear it's ugly head. It's doesn't fit in my piping world. A fine line we're trying to walk isn't it?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So the guy is 76 years old and spends a couple of thousand dollars per year on tobacco he doesn't need to. Big deal. It must bring some joy into his life. No question, the old fellow would likely be better off finding somewhere to hang out with some other people. I wouldn't call his behavior obsessive or compulsive. Were he doing without food and meds in order to buy his tobacco, different story.
I admit to being a bit obsessive/compulsive. However, I remain convinced the prices of pipe tobacco is going way up and availability is going to become increasingly difficult. It hasn't stressed me out financially in the least so I don't see it as a big deal. Of course, my Psychiatrist thinks I'm nuts ....... buts that a whole other story. LOL Oh, my wife thinks I'm nuts too but she's thought that long before I took up pipe again.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Hoosier, good points. I did forget to mention that this guy is well off in retirement and he does smoke many bowls a day. But, he surely doesn't need more tobacco. I guess that's one of the points. He still thinks he's going to miss out if he doesn't keep stashing the "good stuff."

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Oh, look what the nice mail lady just brought.
R1E2brK.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
npod, perhaps that gives the guy something extra to live for. You don't "need" all those beautiful Castellos you have. LOL But you want them and obviously can afford them, so what's the big deal? If people and our government only spent based on needs, there would be a world surplus of cash.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I feel like the guys that only smoke a bowl a day or a bowl every couple days usually quit the hobby and lose interest within a couple years.
I've only been smoking one or two bowls per day and sometimes not at all. Started twenty-seven years ago and still going. :puffy:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
By the time the Cap'n decides which 904/9004 yacht to sail, he often doesn't have time left to fill it! :nana:
I decided counting and keeping track would not help me at this time. I'm quite certain that I have more than 10 pounds and less than 50.
I just buy one to smoke and two to store and toss them on the stack. I'll either smoke it or unload it but it's not likely to go to waste.
jay-roger.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
npod, perhaps that gives the guy something extra to live for. You don't "need" all those beautiful Castellos you have. LOL But you want them and obviously can afford them, so what's the big deal? If people and our government only spent based on needs, there would be a world surplus of cash.

I agree. In fact, I agree with all your points. We are completely on the same page. I did not intend to judge by my comment. The point was age + life expectancy + need to cellar x amount. The OP asked how much should a person cellar. My original reply was that sometimes enough is enough, not that it needs to be enough.
And this guy does not need a straight jacket. He is a pathological hoarder though.
Sometimes context is lost in internet translation. Yes, buy and cellar whatever you can/want/need, no problem. My pipes and cellar actually do make me happy, gives me a goal. I love this hobby and am very passionate about it. I also love to see other people's stashes as well.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
You guys are all making this too complicated. The answer is merely 2x's your body weight. Everything else is just gibber jabber. [:puffy:]
Well okay then. Who am I to argue with Cosmic? 350# to go. Figured there may be some age factor.
BW X 2 - (age X .5)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You have to divide by the cube root of your IQ, then modify your life expectancy by (T x .95) for each 25 pounds overweight, then do the calculations!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I agree. In fact, I agree with all your points. We are completely on the same page. I did not intend to judge by my comment.
npod, I didn't take it the wrong way or arguing, just discussing. I think the best solution is to just get the guy to name you as the heir to his tobacco collection. LOL I think we're all a little bit screwed up in the head. If the worst thing somebody does is buy too much tobacco, I'd say they're pretty good folks.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Hello, my name is Mark, I bought too much tobacco.
I sold a bunch, then I bought a bunch. Though my cellar has “evolved”, I’ve got more than enough tobacco for the foreseeable future.

Still evolving after 22 years.

Dec 28, 2015
You should buy as much as you feel like. No more no less. It should just be natural. Or unnatural as the case may be.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Some of the stuff mentioned in this thread-like the guy with 500 pounds of tobacco who "can't stop" buying- has me wondering if the more excessive ends of cellaring don't fall into the actual clinical disorder of hoarding.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, technically that could be what is called compulsive buying which is often inter-related with hoarding disorder.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Hoarding is only a disorder, when it damages your life quality. If someone has a hobby of chasing blends, even if he is old and well stocked, that is his hobby and he should keep doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.