PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
That's coming over the next couple of decades. Assuming the wife and kiddies just don't dump Dad's stinky stuff down the trash chute, third parties stand to make a killing in the aftermarket, provided they act like DeBeers and control supply to keep prices up, and don't get shut down by various and sundry legalities outlawing the selling "estate" tobaccos.
Aw hell. If he’s really interested, he can buy most of my cellar now.
2G includes shipping.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I know this is a vague question, with various types of tobaccos aging differently, but approximately how long can bulk tobaccos or opened tins put into mason jars last if not opened again?

I didn’t heat my mason jars. Just washed them thoroughly and then screwed them down tight. Would this affect the cellaring process?

Appreciate the help.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Curious how people can get frothy talking about tobacco. If you are lucky to have a sealed tin of tobacco with 50 years on it, I'll bet it will be just fine. Especially if you purchased it for $10. Or $20. Go on...live on the edge. What could go wrong?

I have enjoyed every one of the "very" aged tobaccos I've had. I don't keep count, but it's always a celebration.

None would make me hesitant to cellar for as long as I can go. My oldest tins date to the 70's. I'm not bragging, I just cellar, and collect, and find it to be a fun hobby.

Dragging on...I do not think that it's the end of the world but I do agree with the other posters who said prices won't go down, and frankly the super good blends are a bit more scarce now than they were a decade ago.

Cellar. Have fun. Store the tins carefully. How bad will the investment go? Not too bad...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I know this is a vague question, with various types of tobaccos aging differently, but approximately how long can bulk tobaccos or opened tins put into mason jars last if not opened again?

I didn’t heat my mason jars. Just washed them thoroughly and then screwed them down tight. Would this affect the cellaring process?

Appreciate the help.
I do the same, and don't feel my cellar is at risk. How long? Quite a few years. Can't answer if you're putting down thinking of a time frame of more than ten years.

Reactions: Bassman65

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I do the same, and don't feel my cellar is at risk. How long? Quite a few years. Can't answer if you're putting down thinking of a time frame of more than ten years.
Thanks so much! Yeah. I was thinking I was just a huge idiot by just screwing down the jars. I have labelled everything and put nice cellar label stickers on the top of each lid, so I couldn’t easily redo everything. Although, compared to most, my 5 pound cellar is just in its’ fledgling youth. A Rubbermaid bin full of 250ml jars to redo would still be a huge job.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I don't think there's "too long" for certain blends. Alot of this depends on tinning methods and storage over the years. McClelland is a great example of a tinned tobacco that cannot be stored "too long", though I do think there is a time in which you start losing the special tasting notes you enjoy in that blend. But the tobacco will remain smokeable. I more so look at my cellar as "will I actually smoke all this in my lifetime?" It's encouraged me to sell off some blends and replace those with ones I know I'll want forever.
I also don't try to buy 5lbs of something in one year, because then it all ages at the same rate. In 20 years, it's all 20 years old. I try to buy a pound of my favorite from different years to spread out the "peak time". So if a blend is peak at 5 years, I want to buy a couple pounds every couples years or so to ensure I'm spreading that peak time over my future.

Maybe I overthink it. Just my .02
YMMV

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
When I buy bulk from 4Noggins, it comes in a sealed Mylar bag. Is it better to cellar in these bags, or move to jars?

Sorry to ask so many questions. Not new to the pipe, but new to trying new tobaccos and cellaring. Used to just smoke what my dad did and bought as needed.

As 50g has become $50 - $70, I’ve had to rethink my practices.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I buy bulk from 4Noggins, it comes in a sealed Mylar bag. Is it better to cellar in these bags, or move to jars?

Sorry to ask so many questions. Not new to the pipe, but new to trying new tobaccos and cellaring. Used to just smoke what my dad did and bought as needed.

As 50g has become $50 - $70, I’ve had to rethink my practices.
Either jar, or transfer to metallized Mylar for long term, as in 6 months or longer, storage. The clear Mylar bag in which you receive your tobacco is not impermeable, so the contents will dry out over time. Metallized Mylar, coated with aluminum, preferably food grade 7mil, is impermeable and tobaccos can be stored for a couple of decades at least.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Either jar, or transfer to metallized Mylar for long term, as in 6 months or longer, storage. The clear Mylar bag in which you receive your tobacco is not impermeable, so the contents will dry out over time. Metallized Mylar, coated with aluminum, preferably food grade 7mil, is impermeable and tobaccos can be stored for a couple of decades at least.
Actually the bags from 4 noggins appear to be netallized Mylar and sealed above the ziplock. Maybe they’ve upgraded 😊

Here’s a pick with top seal cut off above ziplock.

Ps. Don’t judge, but I love the Lane Black Raspberry!

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 9

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Actually the bags from 4 noggins appear to be netallized Mylar and sealed above the ziplock. Maybe they’ve upgraded 😊
Well, good! I haven't ordered from them in years. So completely metalilized, no clear Mylar anywhere, right? Any clear Mylar will allow the moisture to leach out over time. If the bag hasn't been heat sealed above the ziplock, that's the only additional protection remaining for really long term storage, like for years and years.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Well, good! I haven't ordered from them in years. So completely metalilized, no clear Mylar anywhere, right? Any clear Mylar will allow the moisture to leach out over time. If the bag hasn't been heat sealed above the ziplock, that's the only additional protection remaining for really long term storage, like for years and years.
So no need to jar then? Just keep in Mylar? Good to know!

Reactions: sablebrush52

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Honestly the big danger is the fact that tastes change with time and more so with experience. And you run the danger of having lots of something when you'd rather have a bunch of something else. And cellaring and ageing may not continue as the big thing it is now so it might be nearly worthless financially speaking.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Honestly the big danger is the fact that tastes change with time and more so with experience. And you run the danger of having lots of something when you'd rather have a bunch of something else. And cellaring and ageing may not continue as the big thing it is now so it might be nearly worthless financially speaking.
I learned this the hard way but got very lucky with sales and trades. I also had some great mentors along the way that guided me in the direction I am now.
And like with any hobby, never collect based on resale value. Markets fluctuate too greatly in the niche hobbies (if you want to call it that).

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Honestly the big danger is the fact that tastes change with time and more so with experience. And you run the danger of having lots of something when you'd rather have a bunch of something else
Can’t really speak with any authority on cellaring tobacco as I have only been back smoking pipes for a few years.

But I have been drinking and buying wine since my undergrad years in the 1970s
I sold off over 150 dozen bottles a few years ago.
My tastes had changed and I didn’t like that style of wine anymore.
Also I am not drinking anywhere as much these days

Good thing there is an aftermarket for well-cellared and aged stuff - both wine as well as tobacco

Reactions: ThermionicScott

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Can’t really speak with any authority on cellaring tobacco as I have only been back smoking pipes for a few years.

But I have been drinking and buying wine since my undergrad years in the 1970s
I sold off over 150 dozen bottles a few years ago.
My tastes had changed and I didn’t like that style of wine anymore.
Also I am not drinking anywhere as much these days

Good thing there is an aftermarket for well-cellared and aged stuff - both wine as well as tobacco
with alcohol that's going to be the way it is until people find something way better then alcohol. But with tobacco there is a greater danger of the well cellared and aged thing being more of a trend. It could also stick and be like it is with alcohol. I'll put it this way ask almost any random person about the idea of aging wine and while they may not get how it actually works they'll understand the basic concept. Some pipe smokers don't even know anyone ages pipe tobacco or that they can. Heck there are many stories about pipe shops dropping the price on tins that have been aging on their shelf for a long while, all whilst having no clue that some of us would be super happy to find such a thing.
As far as aging goes my opinion has been mostly well it changes the thing a bit but would take it or leave it. Save a few blends that I did find actually improved. My favorite is GLP Cairo with two years on it that stuff was great.

Reactions: OzPiper