Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Went to select my next tobacco and grabbed a 2018 tin of Red Rapparee. Despite being a round tin and only 4 years in the cellar the seal had either failed or it had never been well sealed at the factory. Booooone dry.

Just goes to show that even the "good" tins can have problems.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Yeah. At least it wasn’t something really special. It should be fine with a bit of moisture.

It’s been almost 15 years since the last tin failure so I can’t complain too much. Some types of tins I jar upon purchase but having cool, stable storage has worked well so far for the rest.

I’m more surprised it was the coin style of tin and not a square one.

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Went to select my next tobacco and grabbed a 2018 tin of Red Rapparee. Despite being a round tin and only 4 years in the cellar the seal had either failed or it had never been well sealed at the factory. Booooone dry.

Time to master the Mummy Dust Technique...

Reactions: huckleberry
When I let my tobaccos dry out beyond what I prefer for that particular blend, I just pack a bowl and then put my lips around the chamber and blow through the pipe backwards put the stem for a bit. The moisture from just my breath is enough moisture for me. It would be counter productive for me to rehydrate a tobacco that is already dry, and then have to dry it a bit again before smoking it. But, before all else, try smoking it at the dryness it is... you may find that it is perfect just how it is.
I think that we all on here have somewhat an irrational fear of our tobaccos getting dry. YMMV

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hardly a cellar fail, just 1 tin fail. I think over a long time, there may be 1% or 2% tin failure rate which is reasonable and acceptable, at least to me. I also think many of these may have failed very early on from having never been sealed properly in the factory or mishandling. So cellar time had little to do with it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

I don't see an issue here?

That's how I like my tobacco!
Seriously.

You should consider yourself lucky you can even smoke your pipe around you wife! puffy
Oh, she is a champ. When we met, she was all tobacco-nazi, but I groomed her by listening to Brian's radioshow and discussing the topics with her, so that eventually, she was going to pipeshows with me. The downfall is that if you expect yours to appreciate your hobbies, you have to appreciate theirs. So, I end up helping her prep her knitting yarns sometimes... and I accompany her to local fashion shows. But hey... marriage is compromise.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
When I let my tobaccos dry out beyond what I prefer for that particular blend, I just pack a bowl and then put my lips around the chamber and blow through the pipe backwards put the stem for a bit. The moisture from just my breath is enough moisture for
Exactly what I did. It always surprises me how quickly you can force moisture into a blend that way.