PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
Oh man, I'm hankering for a new pipe... when I can afford it. And I'm almost sure its gonna be a Cavicchi. How bout you folks on the forum convince me with pictures of you favorite Cavicchi pipes. How well do they smoke and what blends do you love in them!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here be mine matey:
cavicchibros-1-450x600.jpg

I smoke a lot of Aros in them, particularly 1Q in the 5C Volcano.

Virginias in the Apple... seems to suit it very well, and the others when the hankering lays hold.

:puffy:

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
That's a hell of a volcano, Lawrence. Kind of a mixture between a poker and a volcano. I might be in the market for one, soon. Are they drilled well and smoke cool?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
All of Claudio's pipes are perfectly engineered.

The grade difference is solely in the quality of the grain.

Every one is perfectly drilled, I've never seen one that wasn't drilled exactly right.

They smoke cool never any gurgle and they're light as well.

You can't go wrong.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
They sound amazing. How do they compare to a Ferndown or a Castello in the same price range? Trying to figure out where to put it on my list of 'must-have' brands.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's tough to answer.

I have neither a Ferndown or a Castello.

I have four pipes that are roughly equal in quality.

First: My Ascorti New Line carved by Pepino Ascorti. (by the tobacco jar)

I was offered a grand cash for it... I couldn't sell. Tinder Box had it replicated and as I remember they sold for about $200 in the early 80's. My Ascorti and my Cavicchi Volcano are on par with each other. (second from the right front)

Then are my Texas made pipes the TRG White Ringed Volcano (first on the front right), a gift from some friends. One of Tim George's first pipes.
favorite-five-600x450.jpg

Lastly: My other Texas pipe made by Mark Tinsky "American Calabash"... beautiful grain. (top left, below)
dafavorites-1-600x450.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had this 1C blasted pipe, bought as an estate. I never cared for the way this one smoked, too thin walls. It did have a very open draw. But, I would rank it below my Ferndown or Castello's (based on that one pipe experience). It sold quickly and I didn't hear any complaint from the buyer, so perhaps it was just me. I turned my nose up at a Rad Davis bought last month....so yeah, it could just be me.
2475392230062237293GYfvFe_ph.jpg

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have one, and I think it's the lightest large bodied pipe I smoke! It's a cool smoker because

of it's size and rusticated style... dissipates heat very nicely. English or Balkan blends for

this pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.