Castleford & PipNet Reamer - Side by Side Comparison (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, here is one unexpected downside to the Pipenet construction - the clear, acrylic material is brittle in cold weather. I keep all of my supplies in my unheated, but insulated garage. Last weekend, I was working on a GBD, temps were in the mid 40's outside and I was comfortable in the garage with a sweatshirt and no heater. The handle connection on the bit just shattered. I was able to use my Castleford bit in the Pipenet handle, so I'll have to use that bit (smallest of the four) in the future. I moved my reamer set into the house. The Castleford set has been in my garage for five years with no issues. That plastic is more of a rubbery, softer material.
gbd_269_prehistoric_work-1.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've never used a Pipnet but have had a Castleford for about 4 years. Used it hundreds of times and it still works great. I don't doubt there are some quality control issues with them but I am happy with mine. Can't remember the last time I used my Kleen Ream.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Damn, Al... that sucks!
That plastic is more of a rubbery, softer material.
Yeah, the Castleford reamer set definitely feels more flexible, plasticized, than the PipNet set does. Although I'm really surprised that temps in the 40s caused that break. Regardless... CRAPPY. Sorry, my friend.
I've never used a Pipnet but have had a Castleford for about 4 years. Used it hundreds of times and it still works great.
Ed, I hear you. My problem with my Castleford reamer set was that the tenon ends of the blade bits were beginning to round out and they were not sticking in the tenon. Add to this that the blades were rounding too and I had a dodgy time towards the end of my use of the set. Maybe I'm just harder on my tools.
-- Pat

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Al,
Sorry to hear about your tenon snapping off. In SoCal I don't have that temperature issue.
One of the things that I noticed and liked about my Pipnet set is that the plastic has a lot of flexible give, certainly much more than the Castleford POS that I sent to the smelter. That ability to torque helps avoid some wear and tear. I'm also finding that Buttner types are the way to go with conical bowls.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What prompted my purchase of the Pipenet set was my Castleford set started "chattering" around the bowl. I assumed the blades were getting dull. I did try to sharpen them with a file, with limited success.
Jesse: is the plastic on your Pipenet set clear, like mine? I noticed in Steve Laugs blog, that his Pipenet set has solid color plastic.
pipnet-1.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, I've now broken three I'd the for Pipenet bits. There is a slight size differential between the but choices in both sets, they are not identical. I find myself picking the best fit between the two. I'd love to fund the Pipenet set in the solid rubber color, vs the clear acrylic. But, I can't locate that style anywhere.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What prompted my purchase of the Pipenet set was my Castleford set started "chattering" around the bowl. I assumed the blades were getting dull. I did try to sharpen them with a file, with limited success.
Jesse: is the plastic on your Pipenet set clear, like mine? I noticed in Steve Laugs blog, that his Pipenet set has solid color plastic.
This has to set some kind of record for a delayed response. Both of my Pipnet sets are opaque plastic. Steve Laug's case is nicer than mine.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Jesse, I had just broken another bit (tried epoxying them as well). I suppose I'll have to get another set and just keep them in the house when not in use.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I paid about $16 shipped for my castleford and it has served me well with great performance and no issues. At 70 pipes I'd say you got your money's worth. As born out above, I'd expect the acrylic plastic in the PipeNet to be much more brittle. If you really want to expand the life of your Castleford, I would think you could touch up the blades if they get dull, and while my handle fits very tight, if yours ever loosens enough to actually spin out, maybe you are going too hard at it or need to build up the inside with just a little UV glue to snug it up? I've ground out some thick and really hard cakes and my castleford has done well for me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, that was quick. Thanks to a heads up from Steve Laug, I picked up an older set of the Pipenet Swiss-made set, with the more rubber like plastic.
I mic'd the bits and found slight variances between the Pipenet and Castleford sets.
PipeNet/Castleford

23 mm / 22 mm

20 mm / 20.5 mm

19 mm / 18.5 mm

17 mm / 16.5 mm
In past use, that's just enough difference that I've found myself switching between bits depending on the pipe.
Just to be safe, i'm keeping this one in the house during the winter months.
Btw, I gave my Castleford bits a quick tune-up with a fine file to clean up the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.