PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Hello, everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and I've learned alot from everyone who has posted on this site. I have a question for the Castello heads out here. I just bought a Castello with the white lucite stem (black dot). It's my third Castello but my first higher grade Castello "Castello" . I am confused because I can't see a grade mark on it from the ebay photos. Is this common for this line of Castellos or did I just get the 1 in 1000 that happend to not get a grade stamp? Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Trying to get the ebay link to work now. Thank You, And HAPPY PUFFING.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Exactly! that's why I jumped on it. I was like wow, that looks like Ochio on the 1 side. It had 4 bidders, small seller so i got lucky and got it for under $200. But I was confused because I could have sworn I've seen the k grading on the "Castello" line of Castello before. But it makes sense that it's, it's own grade category. Thank you for your input gentlemen.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
But I was confused because I could have sworn I've seen the k grading on the "Castello" line of Castello before. But it makes sense that it's, it's own grade category. Thank you for your input gentlemen.
It was I who was confused sir! I was thinking of "Castello" as the grade but you were referring, correctly, to the "K" grading. I wonder whether it was too light to make out in the photos but will be visible when you get the pipe. In any case, it won't affect the beauty or smoking characteristics of the pipe, which you got a good deal on. Enjoy!

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Sorry Dunny my guy I should of phrased that better ? but thank you.
It was I who was confused sir! I was thinking of "Castello" as the grade but you were referring, correctly, to the "K" grading. I wonder whether it was too light to make out in the photos but will be visible when you get the pipe. In any case, it won't affect the beauty or smoking characteristics of the pipe, which you got a good deal on. Enjoy!

Reactions: dunnyboy

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
The 'model' "Castello" IS the grade of the pipe. Only "Collection" pipes are graded. "Castello" grade pipes have no further denotation of grade. "K" markings on a "Castello" grade pipe are indications of size rather than grade. I have come to take "Castello" grade Castellos as having wood that is figured, not straight grained throughout, but good quality with very few, or no pits/fills. Often, they are cross grained in orientation.

Conversely, "K" marks on a "Collection" grade pipe ARE indications of grade, with "KKKK" being the highest. But, like other things pipe related, these 'grading' stamps on "Collection" grade pipes are inconsistent and often subjective in terms of the whims of the person doing the grading at any give time. I think of them as relative terms, within the wood that was available to Castello at the time of the grading.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is my KKK Occhio. Both sides are like this, and the shank is solid birdseye all around:

Qdq441c.jpg

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Dang Sable, ima be looking for something like that next. My collection is getting there but nothing over a few hundred bucks. But i cant help but want to save up for a specimen like that. I dont know what to say but Wow, to all the amazing Castellos and Castello info out there Thank you everyone again.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
The 'model' "Castello" IS the grade of the pipe. Only "Collection" pipes are graded. "Castello" grade pipes have no further denotation of grade. "K" markings on a "Castello" grade pipe are indications of size rather than grade. I have come to take "Castello" grade Castellos as having wood that is figured, not straight grained throughout, but good quality with very few, or no pits/fills. Often, they are cross grained in orientation.

Conversely, "K" marks on a "Collection" grade pipe ARE indications of grade, with "KKKK" being the highest. But, like other things pipe related, these 'grading' stamps on "Collection" grade pipes are inconsistent and often subjective in terms of the whims of the person doing the grading at any give time. I think of them as relative terms, within the wood that was available to Castello at the time of the grading.
Ahhh!!! I get it. Its like rusticated or blasted but for smooths of a generally higher quality then trademark quality. Which is still subject to all that you stated lol. I guess its something for us all to consider in civil conversation weather at a pipe show, in your local B&M or in forums such as this. Which is one of the reasons i fell in love with this hobby i call a lifestyle.

Reactions: dunnyboy