PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
My sea rock smokes amazing. Are the smooths just as amazing? So if we were to compare same size, same shape, only change is finish, I’m assuming some variation because every pipe is different but not because of finish?

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
As pointed out above, all the briar comes from the pallets of air cured wood for which Castello is famous. My experience has been that Castello pipes are better known for their smoking quality and technical accuracy than grain on their smooth pipes. I have owned many over the years but never a Fiamatta or Great Line so I am sure there are exceptions. Great pipes. The stem work could almost always benefit from a bit of taper or the use of ebonite. Otherwise, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Oct 7, 2016
Many years ago, probably around 1999, an acquaintance of mine from Owensboro KY visited the Castello works in Cantu with Agide Morigi, the owner of a tabaccheria in Ravenna, and some collectors from that region. After the tour, they all went out to dinner. After the meal, they started up their pipes. My friend pulled out a nice 1970's Old Antiquari (sandblast) 16. Franco Coppo, the then and now head of Castello, asked to look at it. He complimented my friend on the pipe and how well kept it was.

Then, as he was handing back the pipe, he said "we all know the roughs smoke better than the smooths."

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
At one time or another, I've owned every finish made by Castello. I could detect no notable difference in the smoking quality based upon finish.
Awesome thanks, I have one sea rock and one smooth, different shapes but they both smoke great. I tend to think the lovat GG sea rock smokes better then the trademark KKKK bent billiard if I had to pick one but I think this has nothing to do with finish.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Many years ago, probably around 1999, an acquaintance of mine from Owensboro KY visited the Castello works in Cantu with Agide Morigi, the owner of a tabaccheria in Ravenna, and some collectors from that region. After the tour, they all went out to dinner. After the meal, they started up their pipes. My friend pulled out a nice 1970's Old Antiquari (sandblast) 16. Franco Coppo, the then and now head of Castello, asked to look at it. He complimented my friend on the pipe and how well kept it was.

Then, as he was handing back the pipe, he said "we all know the roughs smoke better than the smooths."
Interesting!

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
The only difference between roughs and smooths that I can tell is aesthetic. Pace Franco Coppo, they are equally good smokers. Although smooths sell for more than roughs, I actually prefer sea rocks (especially with two-tone stain) and old antiquaries (if they have a symmetrical blast) to the smooth trade marks and castellos.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipes are straws. The internal airways affect the smoking more than the aesthetics of the outside finishes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
On paper, in theory, a rough textured surface dissipates heat quicker, because there is more surface area, so a Sea Rock might smoke a tiny bit cooler than a smooth pipe.

Look at the cooling fins on an air cooled motor. It’s the same principle.

But on the flip side, a textured surface may be easier to hold hot, so the user might puff a tiny bit faster.

Another and more practical reason the Sea Rock might smoke better is Castello could use softer, more porous briar and carve away any cosmetic flaws.

The Algerian briar in this old Marxman didn’t look the finest, but no pipe smokes better.

C70E9FD1-1B0F-4864-BF79-DF6D3C582FC6.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
At one time or another, I've owned every finish made by Castello. I could detect no notable difference in the smoking quality based upon finish.
I own most grades of Castellos, from a few Fiammata’s to a few Sea Rocks and many points in between. They are all terrific smokers with no difference I can detect between finishes. I think it comes down to briar and plumbing, both of which Castello has figured out.
Member @npod has a collection of Castello Shape 44 Opera in every available finish, presentation and grade.
I'm pretty sure his answer will be the same as the above 2

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
All things being equal, grain and finish should not make a difference in smoking quality. However, the Sea Rock will be cooler in your hand and easier on your wallet. puffy

Reactions: didimauw