PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cue the curmudgeon: If you can't get a great smoke out of a pipe that sells new for $120, you don't need to bother with pipes that cost hundreds new. Bah-humbug. Those are great brands, but I just don't feel the need.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I agree, but for me it isn't only about the smoke. I have a couple of pipes in the $100 range and don't find them to be as beautifully made. I enjoy things that are crafted by hand or that are very carefully made (even if with machinery). I have a Rattray's that was around $100. It smokes well, but it isn't much to look at or hold. It's fine, but nothing special. So part of this is related to why one has pipes--for me it's as much aesthetic as it is the smoke itself.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
if that's the case for $300 why wouldn't you buy an artisan level pipe?
They make classic styles too.
Dunhill doesn't even make new pipes, they finish mouthpieces.

it's about a brand name... same reason someone will pay $30 for an Adidas shirt and $10 for the same shirt with no branding. Not that it's a bad thing, but admit what it really is.. ;)

I'll admit I'm the guy that will buy the Adidas shirt!

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I don't agree with you--I don't really care who makes it, just that I like it and that it is well-made. I have seen very similar arguments in the drum forms in which people argue that drum X is made in Taiwan, therefore somehow it isn't as good as drum Y made in the US. Or that some other company makes drums for brand X, therefore, they aren't as good. I don't see this as valid. Quality is quality; lack of quality is lack of quality. I buy pipes that I like, aesthetically. I have two Dunhill pipes that I like the look and feel of and that I find to be very nicely made. I also am concerned with the smoking qualities. If I buy a pipe that I like aesthetically, but it doesn't smoke well, it tends to be gone fairly quickly. I'm not terribly patient with breaking things in, which I probably should be. I don't really care if it is artisan or not--I just buy what I like. However, I agree with you that there is a brand-name consciousness in the purchase of pipes, just like most other things. I would also say that there is often a connection between a brand name and quality, but not always. I think that a BMW is better made than a Chevy, but one has to be careful, because I'm not sure it's any better than a Toyota (I've owned all three). Price and quality don't always go together. And since I virtually always smoke alone, I don't really care if anyone sees the white dot. Sometimes my dogs are with me, but they don't seem to be impressed when I'm smoking a Dunhill as opposed to a Rattray's. At least they don't say much about it...

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
Oh, and these snarky types of responses also remind me of drum forums. It's pretty interesting, and pretty much the reason I stopped looking at the drum forums.

Reactions: sisyphus

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Look, I understand you like Dunhills.. I like Petersons for the money.
Just saying that new Dunhills in no way smoke any better than any other pipe for half the price.
It's about a brand name and how you feel about the pipe.. simple as that!

not trying to be snarky but I would doubt you glean zero satisfaction off the brand name alone.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I forgot to mention that this particular thread is about Castello and Dunhill, which might be the reason why I keep talking about Dunhill. It sort of seems to fit the thread--or perhaps I'm wrong on that. I don't own a Castello, so I don't have much to say there.

Reactions: brendhain

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
Look, I understand you like Dunhills.. I like Petersons for the money.
Just saying that new Dunhills in no way smoke any better than any other pipe for half the price.
It's about a brand name and how you feel about the pipe.. simple as that!

not trying to be snarky but I would doubt you glean zero satisfaction off the brand name alone.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but you also don't know me, so I'm not sure how you can judge my motivations. That said, you are simply wrong to state that "it's about a brand name and how you feel about the pipe... simple as that!" I agree with the second half, not the first. It's about the look of the pipe and my perception of quality. I think I mentioned above that the best smoking pipe I own, and probably the best looking pipe as well, is an Ascorti. Fantastic pipe. These are my tastes and I really don't see much need to draw conclusions about the motivations of those who have the tastes that they have.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I will say that I own both Dunhill and Ashton pipes and I really don't find much of a difference in the way that they smoke. And they often look quite similar, which makes sense given the history. I actually like the aesthetics of both Dunhill and Ashton Pipes quite a bit, and that is part of their attraction to me. The overall best smoking pipe I have at the moment is an Ascorti Rhodesian.
Yes Sir, I have come to the very same conclusion, with the only difference that Dunhills are usually a bit lighter weight than Ashton,furthermore I have few Castellos and in my opinion, they do smoke pretty much like Dunhills era of (2015-16)so to say, effortlessly, pretty open draw,Castellos are real beautiful pipes but the majority of their shapes are just not for me,I like more old school, classical shaping, now if one asks me how would I think are the current or older estate Dunhill pipes overpriced, I must declare, Yes, in my opinion, they are somewhat, in the past I have had one Dunhill Bruyere from 60ies, and that one performed as good (or bad)as these my newer ones,Dunhill shapes wonderfully their stems,I don't know other factory pipe manufacturers who are able to reach the same level

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
ok they finish the stummels as well but do you see any frazing machines running rampant? Or these guys working on rough finished frazes?
Dunhilll White Spot Factory Visit - https://www.gqtobaccos.com/blog/dunhilll-white-spot-factory-visit/
I have no idea what a frazing machine is--I actually know nothing about how pipes are made. The link is very interesting, so thanks for posting that. I don't think, however, that the page covers everything in the factory. Also, does Dunhill let visitors see everything? When I visited the Zildjian factory to purchase some cymbals, they were very clear that there were areas that are off limits to visitors. I got to sit behind Buddy Rich's drum set, but didn't get to see several aspects of production that are kept hidden. I wonder if Dunhill does anything like that.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
Dunhill has finished stummels they purchase from suppliers in France and Spain for as long as I can remember. The Collector series are completely hand turned by Colin Fromm. This is no big secret but manages to rear its ugly head in many threads just like this one, by many people who seem to have an axe to grind with Dunhill, just like you.

I don't get it. Idgaf what anyone thinks about what pipes are on my rack, they're for me. I also don't go around shooting other people's favorite brands down. This has to come up every year or so so that a certain type of person can show their ass, the mods can step in and say "hey knock it off you guys" and we can resume talking about pipes and tobacco without the negativity. This leads nowhere and produces nothing. It is some kind of weird exercise where the negative poster is trying to fill some hole he has by "winning" whatever argument this is. Not interested in playing that game, and none of you should be either.

Reactions: danish and Jack T

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I doubt very much the frazing machine are at that factory or at that part or the factory. I am sure Dunhill does purchase some stummels and others are hand turned. In the past, they had Parker and Hardcastle to supply 1st grade stummles. People often say Parker and Hardcastle were Dunhill seconds. I'd argue Dunhill standard shapes that met quality standards were handed up from Parker and Hardcastle rather than Parker and Hardcastle pipes being Dunhill seconds (though I am sure it did happen with some of the handmades). Financially, it just makes more financial business sense as the Dunhill parent company to take the cream of the crop from a mass produced business than it does to try and make a seconds business out of a premium rejects.

Here is an article from smoking pipes and a youtube from How It's Made

Visiting The White Spot - Dunhill Pipes | Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/visiting-the-white-spot

Dunhill shapes wonderfully their stems,I don't know other factory pipe manufacturers who are able to reach the same level

Agreed. Personally, they are the most comfortable stems to me. I think past $150 or so, you are paying for the pipe you want not because it's any better than any other well made pipe. Aesthetics are a huge part if why I buy a particular pipe. I love Dunhill Aesthetics, particularly with large Billiards I like their semi consistency. I like their finish range. I like the price range of their estates (I can rarely bring myself to buying a new pipe knowing I can get two estates for the same money). I I love the white dot - I think it's hands down one of the best logo's ever accidently invently. I like that I have an achievable collecting goal of getting all their different 6103's. I have to say, I like knowing when I die, my family can send them to someone like Chance and get back most if not all of what I paid for them :) I mostly smoke alone and even when I don't, the guys don't know what my pipes costs so it isn't for prestige. It's for me. Just like my Upshalls are for me.

Personally, I hope people enjoy their pipes as much as I enjoy mine, whether they are a $10 cob or an $8000 Chonowitsch. Especially now around thanksgiving. How lucky are we few who call ourselves pipers that get to enjoy something that started off as a seed 100 years ago or so and grew up to fall into a craftsman's hands and turned into an amazing thing (that is joined with something that started as seeds all over the world years ago that was grown, worked, dried, blend and mixed by master craftsman) that brings nothing but contentment and joy.

Last edited:

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I think the $150 line is about right. There are plenty of pipes under that line that smoke great; above that line we are getting into aesthetics. I don't disagree with BROBS comment that for some this may also involve brand-name consciousness. However, it is unfair to apply that to everyone. People have a variety of motivations and often multiple motivations at the same time for whatever they do. The one guy I do smoke with when we get together (and we live rather far apart, so it is rare) is a cigar smoker. He wouldn't know a Dunhill form a Dr. Grabo. But he's interested in pipes.