PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smetz06

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
I am a new pipe smoker. I like making / building things with my hands. So I decided to carve my first pipe out of a block of briar wood and am very satisfied with the results. I dont have any pictures but I did make a video of the whole entire process start to finish on youtube. I hope I can get some good info, tips, tricks, and ideas here in the forum. Thanks for reading the post and watching the videos. I look forward to getting more into pipes / pipe making. Cheers.
Edit: Removed link, and edited some content, per Rule #2, L.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
First, welcome to the forum. Second, thanks for posting the videos. Very instructive. Your first effort turned out amazingly well. I have a block that I got as a gift some 35 years ago and have done nothing with it. This coud serve as inspiration to do some carving; so thanks for that. I look forward to seeing more from you.

smetz06

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
Thank you. I am glad my video could inspire others to make their own pipe! It does require some patience and work but it is very rewarding!! I carved the pipe almost a year ago and havent set it down yet. It is also a good conversation piece with others! Thanks for the welcome, & comment papipeguy and your kind words. I want to keep carving and will have more videos soon. In the mean time, this forum is really cool and since im brand new im going to explore and see what interesting things I can find!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Smetz
Excellent videos. I do love watching things being built and your editing was also excellent. You obviously have experience in wood working.
Question: When you added the brass washer did you find one the exact diameter of the stem/shank? Or did you file it down?
Also, by adding the washer didn't you create a space between the stem and the shank?
In your final polish of the pipe I noticed that you put the wax on the pipe instead of on the wheel. I never thought of that. Usually polish is added to a wheel, at least in jewelry work.
In addition, you used one hand to control the speed of the drill to keep it low.
Excellent.
Pesonally, I loved the shape and finish before you rusticated it, but that really doesn't matter. What matter is: How does it smoke?
Allan

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Great job! I just read Pimo's book last night, and when the weather breaks will be giving it a go. One of the nice things I enjoyed watching your video from all the others, was you sitting back and enjoying the sanding. That showed a more enjoyable time than grinding at the wheel.
Where did you get the washer that fit? Who did you get the kit from?
Nice job on rusticating, it looked great before. But then again, you can't learn how to do it unless you try.
Now the important stuff -- How does it smoke? Tobacco used for first bowl, and making it yourself... Was it the best bowl of tobacco you've smoked?
Great job, wonderful video and makes me feel good about taking on my first bowl. Keep the pics coming on your next pipes, and you have to get yourself a signature ;)
Craig

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
That's a great looking first pipe.
I need to get a clamp and dowel for the rough shaping with a rasp file like you show in the video. Its much more difficult when holding it in your hand.... I also tend to lose a lot of skin on my knuckles too... Not sure I've never thought to do it, even though I've seen it done. Your video is definitely going to make me get to fixing that.

smetz06

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
Hey everyone, I didn't expect to get such awesome feedback. This forum experience is really cool. I will now answer everyone's questions and I want to thank everyone for posting!!
1] Reply to Allan: Thanks for your kind words my friend! I dont have too much experience in wood working I am just a beginner, which is cool, cause if I can do it, then anyone interested and wants to make one can do it if you have a little bit time and patience and desire. I made the video to hopefully get other beginners out there a few ideas. I am still learning and just a beginner. The brass washer was purchased from Home Depot or Lowes of all places. it was a little bigger than the shank and stem, however 60 grit sand paper took the diameter down, and buffing and polishing it made it shine and stand out. Excellent questions Allan: yea, the washer did create space between the shank and stem, but to combat that, I had to sand down the shank itself a bit to remove the space. It smokes very nicely, evenly, smoothly, and it seems to get better and better the more I smoke out of it!! I am just a beginner at smoking, and need to be more versed and know what to look for in a good smoking pipe. I also had to learn how to smoke it properly, I was packing it too tight, taking too many puffs to fast, heating up the tobacco too much and getting tongue bite! It does produce a dry / cool smoke when smoked properly. I enjoy it. Thanks again allan!
2] For Craig aka Dragonslayer: Thanks Craig for watching my friend! I purchased the pipe kit from E A Careys smoke shope online website. Its a briar hobby block and you can get the blocks straight, bent, or quarter bent depending on what style of pipe to carve. The pipe smokes very nice now that I know the proper technique and how to smoke! lol. I use it for aromatics, and the first aromatic that I chose was a cherry blend from my local pipe / cigar shoppe. There is a creme brule blend the make the past few days that I am really enjoying out of it And the room note is very nice and the girlfriend is actually liking it and getting into smoking as well which is cool! That is the best bowl so far, but am going to keep trying and experiencing new blends, etc. So far its my favorite, and im also not getting tongue bite which is awesome. I will have more videos to come, and thanks for your comments and watching Craig!!
3] For Joshremy: Thanks for watching and your feedback! Im glad my video could give you some ideas and also save some skin on the knuckles!!
4] for Rothnh: Thanks for the warm welcome and I really appreciate your kind words!
Well I have definately written a book here guys, but wanted to thank / reply to everyone!
Cheers!

Scott

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Welcome aboard smetz06. I enjoyed the video and the outcome. I have looked at those ebauchon kits myself and am interested. I have a background in woodworking but currently my shop is geared towards automotive. Maybe I will gradually acquire the supplies and give it a go myself.
:clap:

smetz06

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
Chakaraka: Thanks for watching! Did you take a look at my messy garage?! lol.. definitely not a pipe makers paradise but it can be done in any type of shop / house / hell even your room if the girl doesn't mind! lol. Thanks agian, and order a block and get carving! im interested to see how it turns out!! you wont be disappointed! If it turns out differently than expected it is your first pipe and the first one is always meant to be kept / smoked / enjoyed, shared, etc. I wish you luck and thanks for your comments and also spending time watching the video!

smetz06

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
Also, all you need is a basic set of rasps / files / sandpaper. I think i got all the rasps and files from harbor frieght for less than 15 bucks. If you dont have a band saw then thats fine a hand coping saw will work fine, and you will be praised by alot of pipe makers from doing everything by hand. I chose to buy a bandsaw and take a shortcut. Also a buffing kit is going to be needed to finish the pipe. However you make the pipe it is still something you created and should be enjoyed, etc. Happy carving and would like to see what you and others make!

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Definitely something I will keep in mind. I just don't currently have the funds (new business, little income, expensed the heck out). When I have some hobby money I want to start acquiring the gear. Would love a small lathe too eventually to make tampers etc. If and when that happens, you guys will hear it hear first.
;)

Aug 14, 2012
Sounds like great fun. I would do it if I still had a room to mess up and a workbench with a vise. For those who don't want to buy a bandsaw you could do the shaping with a traditional woodcarver's gouge and a mallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.