PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
CH is my favorite OTC blend, but my growing affection for perique often leave me wanting more whenever I smoke it. I also enjoy Storm Front due to the addition of cigar leaf. I'm curious whether adding perique and cigar leaf to CH would yield a good blend. It seems to work on paper, but I'm unsure about ratios.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reactions: JimInks
When it comes to pipe tobacco and blends or blending, I always say Follow Your Heart. Give it a try! Everyone should have the following blending tobaccos on hand if they like them:

Perique
Latakia
Dark Fired Kentucky
Ismir or Smyrna
White burley
Dark Burley
Virginia (s)
Cavendish

An ounce or 2 will last a hell of a long time and open up your world to endless possibilities.

Just MHO puffy

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
When it comes to pipe tobacco and blends or blending, I always say Follow Your Heart. Give it a try! Everyone should have the following blending tobaccos on hand if they like them:

Perique
Latakia
Dark Fired Kentucky
Ismir or Smyrna
White burley
Dark Burley
Virginia (s)
Cavendish

An ounce or 2 will last a hell of a long time and open up your world to endless possibilities.

Just MHO puffy
Thanks. I've attempted a little blending, but never with perique. I suspect a little goes a long way?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Thanks. I've attempted a little blending, but never with perique. I suspect a little goes a long way?
Most blending additions a little goes a long way.

It's like I tell my kids when we go out for spicy food and the Server asks mild, medium, or hot? I always suggest they go a bit under what they think they want because you can always add more but you can't take it back out.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Start with a big bowl of perique, and add in a tad bit of Carter Hall at a time, until you can taste the CH. When you can taste the CH, you've overdone it. puffy
Tossing Salad GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
CH is my favorite OTC blend, but my growing affection for perique often leave me wanting more whenever I smoke it. I also enjoy Storm Front due to the addition of cigar leaf. I'm curious whether adding perique and cigar leaf to CH would yield a good blend. It seems to work on paper, but I'm unsure about ratios.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Start out with five percent each of perique and cigar leaf. That will give you a baseline. From there, you'll find it easier to determine how much more, or less, that you may want to try adding. It's not going to take much to lose the CH flavor, so start at a low number. It's all trial and error as you know.

I know somebody who does 2/3 Half & Half and one third perique, but that blend has a lot more topping, so that percentage would work better there than with Carter Hall.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Start out with five percent each of perique and cigar leaf. That will give you a baseline. From there, you'll find it easier to determine how much more, or less, that you may want to try adding. It's not going to take much to lose the CH flavor, so start at a low number. It's all trial and error as you know.

I know somebody who does 2/3 Half & Half and one third perique, but that blend has a lot more topping, so that percentage would work better there than with Carter Hall.
Perfect. I believe that would be about 2 teaspoons of both perique and cigar leaf for a cup of CH.

Reactions: JimInks