PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Just got my tins of the new CRF in today. First thing I noticed was the description was apparently just copied from the 2019 tin description because it still says it's the 2015 crop despise the side of the tin clearly listing the 2018 crop:

YozWjj1.jpg

9yP40wd.jpg

These things happen, as long as the tobacco is good I can ignore a copy-paste error. I cracked the tin and loaded my two most similar VA pipes with both the 2020 and an old tin of the 2019 I have open. The more broken flake at the bottom of the picture below is the old version:

cbn25i6.jpg

RWecxYR.jpg

And now that I've inserted all these images in this post I think I'll include "Pictorial" in the thread title haha. I have smoked a lot of the old 2015 crop CRF so this will be a simple comparison for my sake to see if I like the new batch as much as the older batches. Right off the bat after cracking the tin I was happy to see the colors in the flake looked similar to the old batches and the tin note was very similar as well. As I start to smoke through each bowl, switching occasionally to remind myself what the old batch tastes like in comparison I am definitely picking up some differences.

The old batches have a strength of flavor that almost reminds me a little of perique at times. The new batch definitely has plenty of flavor but it is more mild overall to my taste buds. But also I do detect a slight bit of the sharpness that younger virginias have that the older batches have rounded off. Granted when the older batches were younger they undoubtedly had some of this as well and I imagine as this batch ages the differences between the two will fade somewhat. Overall I am enjoying the new batch so far and while slightly different than the older batches I think it will age just as well and may become more and more similar over the years. I ordered plenty of the new batch so I may be able to do some more comparisons over the next few years to see if my hypothesis is correct.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The old batches have a strength of flavor that almost reminds me a little of perique at times.

When I tried that tobacco, I also thought there was perique in it.

It was one of 3 "mystery blends" distributed in my pipe club for a blind evaluation game.

Thanks.

1602286178123.jpeg

Reactions: skydog

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Someone with a refined palette should also compare the latest issue of Carolina Red Flake with Opening Night.

I don't have any sort of a refined palate but I've never thought any of the other CRF batches were that similar to Opening Night and though this one may be a little more similar it's still not that close. I like Opening Night a lot though, especially with some age on it.

Reactions: cshubhra

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I also had picked up the periqueness of the old crop and it was something that I always mentioned to myself when I smoked it. It's a super spicy red so to say and reminded me a little of Gochugaru (Korean Red Pepper Flakes) on the retrohale. I've got a tin on the way of the new stuff so I hope it has a little variance. If not, I'll still be content.

Status
Not open for further replies.