Carolina Reaper Dethroned: Pepper X is the New King of Peppers.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

And it’s not bad for you either, against popular belief. Capsaicin is complete a mind trick on the body…….it’s not actually burning any part of you.
The fruit isn't hurting your stomach, but your brain is reacting to the illusion as if there is a fire in your stomach and making your stomach release neutralizers (or whatever it is called) and it can cause ulcers.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I used to grow various super-hots because they’re pretty plants but they are generally useless for eating.

I had a ghost pepper I kept going for 5 years. It was a shrub that pretty much buried me in chiles every season. I have a mason jar mostly full of dried ground ghost pepper 5 years later. It’s still ridiculous hot.

I did just make another batch of mango pineapple ghost pepper hot sauce. Really good on vanilla ice cream. The ghosts have a tropical flavor that blends really well.

Habs are the practical limit IMO. Hotter than that is just for bragging rights. Hell, it’s more capsaicin than what’s in pepper spray with Reapers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When I was much younger, I used to pride myself with how hot I can eat. Korean food can be on rather hot and spicy side. Then I came to America. I vividly remember having what this Mexican restaurant called "Jalapeno Special". Oh boy, that was a different kinda spicy. Then went to Thai restaurant, when they asked how spicy, I said "yes, spicy". Paid it for it next day. When I had steady job, one of coworkers had an Indian restaurant. So good Brit mate of mine and an Indian friend went there for dinner. Made same mistake. "Yes, spicy." Realized Korean food isn't that spicy. Then had Korean cup ramen called nuclear chicken or something. Couldn't feel my mouth for few hours.

No, I won't even try ghost pepper. Anything spicier? Are you kidding me?

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I used to really enjoy hot, spicy food and grew my own scotch bonnet variety of peppers. I used them often and in a variety of dishes. Unfortunately, my internal system has changed over the years and I now have very little to no tolerance for spice or heat. To all the thrill seekers that are still left, go forth and do well!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I used to really enjoy hot, spicy food and grew my own scotch bonnet variety of peppers. I used them often and in a variety of dishes. Unfortunately, my internal system has changed over the years and I now have very little to no tolerance for spice or heat. To all the thrill seekers that are still left, go forth and do well!

I wonder what changed? I'm assuming it's just natural aging process (not insinuating anything, here). My dad is almost 80 and can still put heat away like he could when we was in his 30s. I grow habaneros, de arbol, serrano, jalapenos, and tabascos and he'll still order "Native Thai" at the restaurant and put it all away without a peep.

Must be that infamous Boogeyman - genetics!

May I never reach the point where I can't tolerate my homemade hot sauces!

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I'm struggling to imagine how that combination might taste :oops:

Jay.
It’s sweet and tropical. Goes good on pork and grilled chicken. A change of pace from the typical vinegary hot sauces. The heat level is easily tolerable. I usually give away most of a batch so I keep the heat down.