PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Here's a question for all you briar gurus out there.

Would "Simoniz" car wax be suitable for polishing briar.

It says it contains carnauba wax, but it isn't clear about if there's any other nasty chemicals in there?
Peace out.
Dave

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Just found this information from the safety data sheet.

Petroleum Hydrocarbon

8052-41-3 100 ppm PEL

Carnauba Wax

8015-86-9 No limits established

Paraffin Wax

8002-74-2 2mg/m3 TWA

Paraffin Wax

68441-09-8 2mg/m3 TWA

Kerosene 8008-20-6 No limits established
So it looks like the majority of it is Carnauba wax.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Kerosene can't be good for briar. I would err on the side of caution and simply find straight carnauba wax. Check your local woodworking store -or look for one in your area.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I wouldn't do it, Dave.
Why not buy a chunk of Carnauba and get out the buffing wheel yourself? Or, be like me and buy a pot of Halcyon II and a pile of rags. That stuff is magic.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok, here's the deal on car wax. You have pure wax, which is only a protectant and while I've never used it on a pipe, I don't see how it could hurt.
MOST car waxes are also "cleaner" waxes, which have abrasives designed to remove surface contaminants, swirl marks, etc. I would NOT use this type of product on a pipe.
I believe the Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax has no cleaning components (they have other products in their line that do the cleaning tasks):

http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/m2616-hi-tech-yellow-wax-liquid-16oz/
Mothers "Pure Brazilian Carnuba Wax" also states it has no abrasives:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05550-05750.html
Be aware, the majority of what you will find in an auto parts store (Pep Boys, Advance, etc.) will most likely be cleaner waxes, which is what 99% of folks use. Most car owners don't do a two or three step detail process.
My autobody supply store sells Meguiars products, including the pure wax.
I'm sure there are other "pure" carnuba waxes out there from other manufacturers.
The Simoniz product does not say it is a cleaner wax, so I don't think it is. I suspect the kerosene is used as a mixer for consistency, etc.
Having said all this, I'd still try to find a bar of carnuba. My local Woodcraft stores sells the bars for $7, which looks big enough to last a lifetime.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I have used the mothers carnauba wax on my pipes with a buffing wheel and it works fine. The issue is that it is very soft so its a messy job putting it on the wheel. I would suggest getting a hard stick of carnauba. They last a long time and will be less messy in your shop space. If you can't find a pipe supply company that carries it, you can get a product that is called Sex Wax it is distributed through Ron Jons Surf shop online. They are sticks of pure Carnauba that look like deodorant pods. The pods are around $12.00 US per pod. That much would be good for about 60 pipes or so.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Carnauba is always a hard wax- sometimes flakes, sometimes a bar, but always hard. If it's soft, they're something like kerosene or Peruvian Llama milk to act as a solvent or carrier...None of that is stuff that I want near a pipe...Stick with the hard wax and a buffer...

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Cheers for chipping in with the information guys.

I'll err on the side of caution and splash out on a block of pure wax.

With that sorted my plan was to use my electric drill with a polishing wheel to buff the briar and the stem.
Peace out
dave

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Oh sorry that wasn't very smart of me. The Mothers Wax says 100% Carnauba and listed as the only ingrediant.

fideau

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Just look online. I bought a block of pure Carnauba wax and it has lasted several years and I still have half of it. I'm just repeating what others said. Car was is not the same in my experience.

Works wonderfully, just use a dedicated wheel. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I wasn't familiar with Renaissance Wax: Here's some info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

This ingredient might give me pause:

Renaissance Wax also contains polyethylene waxes. Some other microcrystalline waxes intended for conservation use (e.g. Cosmolloid 80H) do not contain these.

Status
Not open for further replies.