PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I worked in a drop forge after high school (mass production of crank shafts, drive shaft yolks, wheel hubs). Moved from rural Indiana to Seattle, WA & started bartending. Learned to home brew beer & bounced around a bit. Ended up in New Orleans, LA & got a job brewing beer for a couple of different breweries here. Currently still at it, but it’s kinda losing its luster. Its focus is on trendy beers & mass production of the core brands. Less of the experimental brews & finely crafted classic, which is what drew me to brewing in the first place. Im going to start taking night classes for IT/Cybersecurity in a few weeks & see if thats possibly another career path for me. I love brewing & beer in general, but the low pay, physical demands, & lack of interest (at my current job, at least) have soured me on it.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I went from steel fabricating and welding to a design engineer. Then held a job as a manufacturing engineer for a bit. I was shopping for software to run our CNC laser when I was offered a job with a software company. I started with them as an applications engineer and somehow ended up in sales. I loved it. I did that for 9 years. Then I started with my current company. I’m able to use my welding, manufacturing, and software experience in selling robotic solutions. I have worked from home with some travel for the past 12-13 years.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’ve worked full-time as a photojournalist/photographer since 1985 when I quit college (after four years) to freelance for what was then the #3 newspaper in the country. I eventually landed a staff position there, and was laid off in 2007 along with most of the rest of the staff. I’ve freelanced since then, mostly in higher education marketing.

Prior to all that, I had an assortment of jobs in healthcare, as a receptionist, medical records, and lastly as a phlebotomist.

Making pictures is second nature for me. It’s so many aspects of things I love, all rolled into one. The work I do seems to resonate with folks, and that gives me reasonable assurance that I’m not totally delusional. I’ll work until I’m either physically no longer able to, or AI renders me redundant.

I deeply love what I do. To quote Loudon Wainright:

“And it's music for money, but I do it for fun
Oh, I know how to do it; it's easily done
To stand on a stage doesn't make me afraid
I'm comfortable up there; it's gotten me laid
It always amazes me when I get paid”

Last edited:

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I do not have a university degree. I worked as a teenager in a neighborhood bakery. I think what I remember most is eating like a bear, all kinds of cakes and butter cakes. A way to work with energy, you know, work at night, the body asks for a lot of carbohydrates. That's how I earned money to buy a few bottles of Jim Beam, and have parties with friends. I have worked in the field, long-haul trucking, heavy-duty trucks for road construction and mountain reduction or downgrade, breakwaters for seaports.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Changed my career late in life. Worked as a mail carrier for way too long. Went back to school (when I was 38) and got in the tech industry, I’m a software engineer, I work in operations, so it can be stressful at times but I love solving problems, every new problem is just a puzzle waiting to be solved. It’s very rewarding and pays much better that the post office.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
for the record J.J. Jameson is a fictional character in the Marvel Universe and the boss of Peter Parker aka Spiderman another fictional character that was a photography at the newspaper ... i was not giving out some personal information making it possible to stalk people. Not sure why my post got edited to nothing. Must be the illuminate!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I am not one of you... humans.

I am a meat puppet assembled and controlled by the Vzwaarn of Antares IV.

You know my masters---and think of them---as... cats

Now that the secret is out (thanks to this thread), the full invasion has been moved up and will commence tonight at 2400 GMT.

The Vzwaarn are looking forward to it. They find you bipeds quite tasty.

Screen Shot 2023-08-30 at 4.59.11 PM.jpg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I am not one of you... humans.

I am a meat puppet assembled and controlled by the Vzwaarn of Antares IV.

You know my masters---and think of them---as... cats

Now that the secret is out (thanks to this thread), the full invasion has been moved up and will commence tonight at 2400 GMT.

The Vzwaarn are looking forward to it. They find you bipeds quite tasty.

View attachment 243521
I voted for Cthulhu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

Reactions: wyfbane

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
These days I primarily work with a bunch of thugs, goons, hoodlums and psychopathic killers. No I don't work in politics. I used to work with animals, a couple of dogs, a cat, a wabbit, a duck and a tweety bird.

Before that I spent time on the moon, at the Hilton Hotel on Mars, and the Electronic World.

It's been interesting, to say the least.

Reactions: hawky454 and JOHN72

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I was blessed and feel fortunate to have had a career in education that allowed me to start as a bus aid, then driver, teacher, principal, and then an assistant professor. As I retired, I finished my career back as a teacher - polishing of my retirement credits - and I was able to work full time as a full time mentor for new teachers near the end. I was never in one position ling enough to get bored with it and was able to tie all the years of service under one umbrella.

Reactions: hawky454 and JOHN72