PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajwinter

Lurker
May 2, 2011
Asaad said it best. I too feel that Captain Black (White) has its place upon my palate amongst all the other tobacco's that I enjoy. Indeed it is comforting and nostalgic, but most of all, it is a fine smoke. Some days, I love a navy flake--pure and natural--its flavors reminiscent of figs. On others, I love sipping on the effortless Captain Black varieties. In addition, I love the pouches that it comes in. I am inclined to designate a pipe for it, though. Its flavor does linger.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I have been smoking the old Captain Black White for years and it seems to be my go to baccy, I always drift back to it, I know there are a lot of high quality baccys out there, but I developed a taste for the CBW years ago and I am just a stickler for it. I always get compliments when smoking it and usually get asked to stay even from non smokers. I enjoy it daily.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
CBW is a daily smoke for me. I always make a point of keeping a can of it in the truck. While I tend to smoke it mostly in Dr Grabow pipes, I will just as readily pack it in a Peterson if in the mood.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I still pick up some Captain Black from time to time. One of my favorite things about that blend is the response I get from those nearby when I fire up a bowl. It is almost always positive and often elicits comments about memories of dad or grandpa.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I too enjoy CBW and the Royal, while they are not my everyday smoke, I reach for them on a regular basis. With as slow as carpentry work has been it's been nice to be able to have some varity in my smokes even though I could only afford drug store blends.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
For awhile that was all I smoked, but that was about 25 yearsago. I quit smoking for about ten year and then spent the next 10 smoking just cigars before picking breaking out my pipes once again. After reading the comments on this tread, I think its time to pick up a tub of CBW.
kashmir... If you order some of Lane's 1Q as several have suggested you may want to try some of their RLP6 as well.
Happy puffing :puffy:

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
I have an unopened pouch of Captain White, I think is time to try it!! And if it taste like MacBaren 7seas gold the blend is great! I love 7 seas gold!! :)

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I bought and tried some of this over the weekend. It didn't really seem to have much taste or room note at all to me. I could see the smoke, but no real taste. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be?

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I bought and tried some of this over the weekend. It didn't really seem to have much taste or room note at all to me. I could see the smoke, but no real taste. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be?
Either something is wrong with that tobacco, or something is wrong with your taste buds. While CBW isn't a really strong tobacco, it certainly does have flavor.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Janco, CBW should give you both a STRONG room note and taste. Both are similar and involve, to my sense, vanilla, licorish, clove, and nougat / caramel. It is rather moist so pack it lightly. After it gets going, begin to sip it slowly, develop a cadence or slow rhythm, to your draw. You should sense the flavors I mentioned. If not, perhaps you got very old or oxidized weed. Try another source.
:puffpipe:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with Jankomatic, no real flavor here (other than sugar).
If this were a wine, it would be a box of Franzia. Cheap but will do in a pinch when you don't have any of the good stuff available.
Sorry if I sound like a snob, but the day I gave up this stuff was the day I started enjoying real tobacco.

jordanfirst

Lurker
Jun 2, 2011
let me put it in a way where i sound fair - I always wanted to smoke a pipe- I was too young for it so i left this urge back in my mind untill i passed by a pipe smoker and the aroma killed me - it was captain black i asked him - the aroma was superb it triggered all my pipe smoking urges to come back i was 19 back then still fairly young yet i went to the tobacconist the next day and bought my first pipe and smoked the captain black white - a month in research into pipes and tobaccos i started collecting pipes as well as tobaccos - one word ( it made me smoke pipes but i will never smoke it again) just like what bigvan said " the day I gave up this stuff was the day I started enjoying real tobacco." very true bigvan (thumbs up)

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I'm going out on a limb here, but I cant find captain black here in merry olde england, so I was wondering if anyone in america would be willing to work out a trade of a few pouches of blends that are either hard to find or unavailable in america, perhaps some of the gawith and hogarth lakeland blends. I know it may seem like a lot of effort to go to but I would like to try the real thing, so I can find an equivalent blend here. I'm not fussy about the price or where a blend was bought and I can see there being an equal merit in all blends. If captain black smokes well, consistently and tastes pleasent then it has its place.

kodiakred13

Lurker
Apr 1, 2011
West Coast BC
I enjoy CBWhite as well as CBRoyal. I never seem to grow tired of them, although I do not smoke it everyday. I do tend to smoke it a day or two out of a week. Another smoke I like that's mild like CBWhite is Prince Albert. All are very mild, smooth smokes with no tounge bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.