PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I don't have any rugrats prowling the house so I don't have any safeguards engaged. I think the culprit is the sign-in device the two vendors use to prevent robots from infiltration.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Are you using PAYPAL ?? We used PayPal for orders from P&C. P&C dutifully called and confirmed we were the appropriate age. Then after a couple weeks, PayPal would not let a transaction go through. It said there was a Federal Investigation something or other and made no mention of tobacco. So we used debit after that with no trouble so far. We have AT&T broadband. Even with the Fed notification, it showed the transaction pending.
My guess is there is wire transfer network tracking going on for overseas transactions and the Feds (I hope) are just making sure these are not terror related. If you think about it, we are from all over the world and spend lots of money in an interconnected hub of tobacco companies and some of us fleabay. If one of us has any dubious habits then everyone connected will be looked into.
But then maybe its your computer. Sorry I don't know how to help, except check for virus or bots.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've been using AT&T for quite a few years, and I still have @ameritech.net (AT&T) as my email address and I've never had any issue whatsoever. There must be something else going on here, and if so please keep us informed if you find out the particulars. Weird, very weird!

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Nothing is immune to viruses, but it's highly unlikely that it's a virus denying your tobacco order. If your computer goes into a loop when you try to confirm it's likely an issue with the website itself, a bug maybe, or something conflicting with your personal internet security settings with your isp or browser, maybe a blocked port or something. Might try using a different browser for the order.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I seriously doubt that it's a virus issue. I would simply call the vendor and tell them of the problem you're having and see what they say.
Other than that, I've never received an email notification since I've been here (2013) and my profile states that my last activity here was over 9 months ago and that I'm at - 6799 post hours! I just never took the time to send a PM to Kevin to straighten out the issue as I keep forgetting to do so.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm not seeing the "capitalist tyranny." Lot of hyperbole! Horrible truth? Come on, it's got to be something rather benign. Why would you be singled out by ATT?
I'd check switches. Not an "Apple" user so I have to ask, what are the factory settings with regard to parental controls, filters and the like?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't say telling you where you can or can't spend your money is capitalist tyranny. Capitalism is the opposite of that.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I guess I better forget my comedy career. The title was supposed to be tongue in cheek and hyperbole was intended.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think you've got another issue. I use an AT&T email (actually an old Ameritech address,which is part of At&T), and I have no problems - I get tobacco related email all the time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I learned the horrifying truth: my server, AT&T, would not allow my orders to be processed or my emails to go through because they were tobacco-related!
While AT&T is an awful provider, I suspect you have anti-virus or netsafe software installed. Some cable companies insist on these being installed because of the huge number of people who willingly click on obvious virus bait.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have gone into a loop a few times trying to order from P&C. One day I won't be able to confirm, and then sometimes hours, sometimes a day later I slide through no problem. The last time, I had 25 tins in my cart and spent 30 min trying to get it to confirm. I finally got fed up and SP got my cash.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Weird. I have never had a glitch, and normally glitches come my way. I have found that some ISPs use unwise caching algorithms and/or have odd difficulties with encrypted sites, despite these being the de facto standard these days.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I hate when a member of a band is algorithm, or is that outofrhythm? Sorry, but I always get the two words confused.

pipemarshal82

Lurker
Apr 19, 2016
I don't understand why there are so many ads against smoking and so many that show how awesome drinking alcohol is. I've never known someone who smoked then got into a car and killed a bunch of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.