PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
I often smoke my pipes while driving to and from work and I've been pondering how I was going to continue doing so when the weather warms up, with the top off my Jeep Wrangler. It's gonna be in the 60's this entire week, so I'm gonna be taking the top off for the first time this year:D . Well, not the entire top, just the front panels, but I digress... :lol:
I bought one of those inexpensive wind caps and found that it does work as expected, but tamping and relighting are not so easy. Plus, the wind cap seems to have too many holes and/or the holes are too large, which I think would allow too much air through while driving. Combine that with my affinity for the out-of-doors and my jonsing for an English pipe to add my pipe "collection" (I don't consider myself a true "collector", maybe I'm just in denial though) and I was on the hunt. I knew what I wanted and wasn't going to pull the trigger until I found exactly that :puffpipe: . Behold! I found it:

Ashton LX Pebble Grain Bent Billiard with Silver Wind Cap and Silver Band

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks. No it wasn't, and I think I lost a few pounds, sweating while entering my debit card number. :lol:
The thing I REALLY like about this one is that it APPEARS that it will allow me to open (and close) the wind cap with my thumb nail, which will prevent me from burning the hell out of my finger.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
8O I'm just not that talented or capable, nsfisher. I can't imagine doing that (riding a bike and smoking a pipe). The clincher for me happened a few days ago. I was smoking my pipe and was near the of the bowl, when a gust of wind blew a hot ember, or two, into my mouth. It doesn't hurt that I just really like that pipe too. :wink:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've admired that several times, and was surprised someone didn't grab it sooner. That windcap has to be a blessing for outdoor smoking. The Craig-made Ashtons are supposed to be the business, so I won't be surprised when you report it smokes wonderfully. Give us a report when you get that first smoke in. What will the choice of tobacco be for the christening?
002-006-0823.jpg

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I have a Jimmy Craig Ashton. Real nifty. Smokes really well, awesome work.

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Gorgeous pipe. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Jimmy Craig's sandblasts have been improving recently? It seemed to me that when he took over production, he never really got the same kind of deep, gnarly blast that Bill Taylor could. The pipe above (and a few others I've seen in the last month or two) are excellent though.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Another option might be the Mr. Brogg #21 - the wind cap is integral on this one, too. It's pear wood so probably won't last as long as briar but it's cheap and smokes well!

MrBrogOldArmy21.jpg

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
An awesome pipe. Looks solid and classic. A perfect choice for being out in the elements.

Is this your first Ashton? I read they have an oil curing process that helps break-in.

An Ashton Old Church is high on my wish list.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
Yep, it's my first Ashton.
I've admired that several times, and was surprised someone didn't grab it sooner. That windcap has to be a blessing for outdoor smoking. The Craig-made Ashtons are supposed to be the business, so I won't be surprised when you report it smokes wonderfully. Give us a report when you get that first smoke in. What will the choice of tobacco be for the christening?

I had been eyeing it up ever since it's been up for sale, and I was also very surprised it hadn't been sold sooner.
My local B&M tobacco shop sells my favorite blend. They call it Golden Sun. I have no idea who makes it or what it is REALLY called (I believe they renamed it) since they seem to be concerned that I'll buy it online instead, if they were to tell me (I wouldn't). It has been driving me crazy too, because I really don't know how to describe what it tastes/smells like, and I'd really like to know to help me learn. At any rate...that's what I'll be christening it with. :)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Beautiful Ashton, congrats! I have one Ashton...same color with the same grain, full bent (no wind cap). Wonderfully made and smokes fantastic. :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with Adam12, Craig-era Ashtons are OUTSTANDING pipes. I have one and it's easily comparable to the Taylor-era Ashtons. I think you'll be quite happy with it.
Ashton is a top shelf pipe. And with all respect to dhintonca, though cheap, a Mr. Brogg pear wood isn't.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
What a great day for it to arrive! AND...what an amazing pipe! It's absolutely what I was hoping for! Figured I'd add an action shot 8) :

5528fbac.jpg

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Jimmy Craig's sandblasts have been improving recently? It seemed to me that when he took over production, he never really got the same kind of deep, gnarly blast that Bill Taylor could. The pipe above (and a few others I've seen in the last month or two) are excellent though.
His inventory at Richmond last year basically blew me away. He is not only improving, but his smaller sizes and more attention to detail have made him one of the better crafters out of England right now in my opinion. Of course you'll always have a group that won't even put him in Bill's league and that's fine, I really don't think he wants to be compared to Bill. I think he's trying to forge his own name so to speak, with Bill's name as a hallmark for quality. I know many disagree with what he's doing, but you can't disagree with how bitchin his pipes are. Haters can jump on the bandwagon. The guy can carve a damn nice pipe.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
Some initial observations:

This pipe is HUGE and is very heavy. It's the biggest pipe I've ever held. Despite its size and weight, it's no problem at all for me to clench it in my mouth because of the way it rests against my chin. The wind cap is designed exactly as I had hoped. It snaps shut perfectly. The finish is flawless. I'm extremely pleased!

Status
Not open for further replies.