PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Anyone hold off from smoking when they get canker sores?(cold related, or scratch/burned-mouth-with-food related)
Lately I've been getting them and don't know whether or not to cease irritants during the healing process
I know I sound like a ninny right now, just asking?

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
just to gloat never had one can't tell you. Though I've seen plenty of cig smokers seem to continue with the cigs without showing any clear complications. I'd say go for it and if it starts to bother you that's probably the sign it isn't a good idea, and if it doesn't feel worse then keep going for it.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I don’t smoke if I am sick or have any sores in my mouth.

Not long ago I burned my palate with a spectacularly hot slice of pizza and it cost me days without a pipe. Dammit! Just hatefully the pizza wasn’t even that good. Double dammit!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I prefer not to smoke till they're gone. They're painful and vexing and if smoking does slow down the healing process, I would rather not.

Then again, I'm not certain smoking slows down the healing process: true, smoke is an irritant, but so is lemon juice applied on the sore, and that used to be a home remedy for sores. Go figure, it might be that smoking actually speeds up the healing process. One day I might just experiment and smoke when I've a sore.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018

Not long ago I burned my palate with a spectacularly hot slice of pizza and it cost me days without a pipe. Dammit! Just hatefully the pizza wasn’t even that good. Double dammit!
I'm currently healing from a hot pizza slice too. I never smoke with a mouth sore.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I actually noticed a few weeks ago, a slight cut, or what appeared like a cut, which also appeared too like a slight bump, on the top of my tongue, also with a wee bit of blood.

Well I knocked off smoking till it was gone! ;)

While smoking isn’t a healthy thing to do, if you want to smoke a long life, well, you need to keep as healthy as possible, now this is what I call some smoking irony! LOL :ROFLMAO:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

of course the pizza wasn't good. You have to be pretty hungry to burn yourself on pizza or eat pizza that's sub standard.

• Haha
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think it's safe to say smoking doesn't help the healing process. And it could be significantly detrimental. I'd think the safe bet would be to lay off a few days and give your body the best opportunity to heal.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand

It is interesting that when you become a pipe smoker you become much more aware of burning your mouth from hot food and drinks.

Reactions: canucklehead

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I'm just getting over a cold, and today I can breath through my nose enough to actually taste pipes properly, then I stabbed my tongue with a sharp chip while eating nachos. Kind of want to smoke some Windsail anyway.

• Haha