Canadian Pipe by Blatter & Blatter Montréal (with pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
I recently acquired a beautifully crafted pipe courtesy of Blatter & Blatter Montreal. It is a Canadian shape, "standard" size with smooth finish about 6" long and light as a feather:

I like the grain presented here; on one side we have some birdseye and, fire? on the opposite:
Detail shot of the heel shows some interesting grain patterns as well. This pipe is also a sitter.

Just as a quick comparison, here's a vintage 1950's French Lovat beside the Canadian shape:

The Lovat has more compact dimensions which is characteristic of French pipe designs. The Canadian shape introduces some length which remains somewhat consistent regardless of the manufacturer. The proportions of the shank and bowl vary across different shops but I feel Blatter & Blatter offers a very pleasing aesthetic.

Being a wet smoker, I typically have to use filters or swab with a pipecleaner but not in this case. With new pipes, I just load up an aromatic and smoke normally to see how it handles moisture. Here, I was presented with an excellent dry smoke down to the bottom of the bowl - no gurgling or overheating. Maybe I've just improved my technique but I feel that the solid engineering of this pipe did the heavy lifting.

The Canadian is a classic shape offered by B&B that is modestly priced and well made. They do have freehand designs and varied sizing but overall, I feel B&B offers excellent value if you're in the market for quality briar pipes.

You can view their pipe catalogue here:
http://www.blatterpipes.com/cat.htm
(older pictures may appear more orange. I tried to show more accurate colors in mine)
Special thanks to Patrick for handling my order and shipping everything in a nice box puf

Note: I have no commercial affiliation with them, etc. I'm just very happy with my pipe from an old world Canadian maker (Blatter & Blatter est. 1907).

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nice to see they are finally shewing prices. Maybe I'll buy one of their pipes one day. I'm getting a Canadian too, God willing, next month; but I've already told the local tobacconist I'd be buying it from him.

Are B&B's stems acrylic or vulcanite?

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
That Canadian is a beautiful pipe indeed. Is that from the "regular" category on their web site? May look into one myself. Price is in my range.
Thanks! Yes that is from the regular/standard category. Feel free to ask them for more pics - Patrick sent me these when I was considering sandblast or rusticated:
I believe it's +/- $5CAD for either one. They have a nice way of handling this style of finish.

Nice to see they are finally shewing prices. Maybe I'll buy one of their pipes one day. I'm getting a Canadian too, God willing, next month; but I've already told the local tobacconist I'd be buying it from him.

Are B&B's stems acrylic or vulcanite?
I believe this is acrylic but it's still pretty comfortable. Well they've got diff shapes, sizes and finishes for most pipes. Maybe next, next month? puf

Reactions: danimalia

Andylo

Lurker
Oct 5, 2019
Grabbed these beautiful pipes from Blatter and Blatter today!

Attachments

• 8181E15E-000E-499E-BD35-CE6163EE723D.jpeg
    8181E15E-000E-499E-BD35-CE6163EE723D.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 11
  • FA2C0A3C-1C13-4F5C-A2E6-63CEDF00AEAA.jpeg
    FA2C0A3C-1C13-4F5C-A2E6-63CEDF00AEAA.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Dusk

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's my quirk to call Canadian shape pipes the stateliest shape, just how they strike me I guess. Blatter and Blatter do 'em best. Double stars for extra light weight.

Reactions: Dusk
Status
Not open for further replies.