PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
Is there any Canadians on here who've ordered tobacco online from the U.S? I'm asking because I just did, and I was wondering what to expect, if I'll have to pay taxes, duty fees, or whatever. I usually order my tobacco online from a Canadian store, but I wanted to try different blends that aren't offered in Canada.

Thanks.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
I'm not 100% sure, but make sure you keep asking around. You can try calling Customs Canada or their website (I'm sure they have one)...also, ask the people you are buying from (they might or might not know)....if they're not sure, don't take any chances !! I've heard horror stories of how (for example) UPS doesn't mention that their "package" has to be picked up at the border, and then more fees $$ on top of all the taxes as well. Be carefull....you don't want to drive from Northern Ontario and then find out you're going to pay $100.00 for a 50g tin of pipe tobacco !!

For me,....it would be better to drive to Buffalo,NY for cheaper tobacco....but, if I'm driving accross the border, I might as well keep driving to North Carolina and make a tour of it !!!

It would be nice to see some of the famous tobacco producers and smoke shop outfits !!

Remember.....don't assume anything (especially when it comes to Canada Customs !)...find out ALL THE DETAILS (and when you do....let me know too).

Good Luck.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Try to work visiting a B&M into a business trip or a vacation, like I did. Tax and duty free, as long as you're under the limit. Only problem is now I'm hooked on PS Black Currant Cavendish and CAO Eileen's Dream, and I can't get them around here. No more vacations to the States in sight. Sigh. I might have to order online in the future for those. Let us know how it works out, peace.
Simon

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
THank you all and thanks Juozapas for the links. I got alot of reading to do lol. I had already ordered a small quantity from Smokingpipes.com, I'll probably receive it next week, so if I can't find anything, I'll find out when I receive the package.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
If you live in eastern Canada, 4noggins isn't all that far away. It's in Middlebury, VT which looks like it's about 200 km from Montreal or 400 km from Quebec. Pipesandcigars.com is in Albany, NY, about 200 km more. If you can find a couple of others to share expenses, it might be worth the trip.

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
Received the package today (actually my wife received it). No charges, no taxes, no duties to pay, nothing. Guess it wasn't a big enough order.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Tobacco road trip!!! The car would look like something out of a Cheech and Chong movie. Nothing but smoke rolling out of the windows. Would be fun......

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
@peace:
Can you describe your order? How much tobacco? I am pleasantly surprised by your report and I'd like to try to reproduce your success, since I can't get certain blends around here.
Simon

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
@ Classicgeek:
It wasn't much: A 3.5 oz tin of MacBaren's 7 seas regular , a 2 oz tin of Cornell & Diehl Mocha and 3 packs of pipe cleaners, through smokingpipes.com.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
They probably would have raised a fuss if you had several pounds coming your way. Might have gotten pricy then.

Status
Not open for further replies.