Canada duty rates for online US online tobacco buys?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Any fellow canadians order from cup-o-joes or pipesandcigars.com from the US? was it any cheaper than buying here...some blends i can't get in canada, and I'm afraid Canada Customs will charge some mental tax.
Thanks

Rob

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Hi Rob! I've never ordered from those sites myself but yes, they will be cheaper. Totally. Even with shipping charges you should come out ahead compared to buying in a store here.
As far as shipping to Canada and customs there are a few threads about this topic if you look around, but the rule of thumb I use is keep the orders under 200g if you can. Do separate orders instead if you really have alot you want to order. If you check the customs website it gives you more info on what you can bring into Canada from the US at one time. I haven't been hit with any duties or taxes yet. (Knock on briar...) I order from 4noggins, but there are a lot of great places in the US to order from that ship up here all the time.
Any other questions just ask! :)

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I'm not Canadian but from the fourms here, I'm guessing the amount is what gets you in trouble? I keep hearing keep it under a certain amount of g's like Ghost is saying and you should have no problem, yes you might have to place a order every 3 weeks or so and pay the shipping charge (vs if you ordered all your product at once, the site might have free shipping) either way you'll probably come out ahead.
2 questions for you canadians...
if you ship it to a friend in the us then he ships it to you, how will the customs know whats inside? Say the "hid" it in some pants and shirts or books...??
if you're close to the US border, would getting a P.O.Box in the US help? You can have it shipped there and pick it up??
Just wondering?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
You could do all kinds of slip-of-the-hand kinda junk, but the fact is, the border guys open up whatever they want, and the x-rays and other machines they use show what's inside a package with basically perfect clarity.
It's a criminal offense to misdeclare a package, if I'm not mistaken, and while no one is likely to be prosecuted for shipping a half kilo of tobacco marked as tea.... it's not something that's probably a super good idea.
As the other guys have stated, even with taxes etc, both provincial and federal, it's far cheaper to buy tobacco online and have it shipped. You can find the rundown here: http://www.nsra-adnf.ca/cms/index.cfm?group_id=1199
And you can find the actual taxes charge in the tax act online somewhere too. But the long story short is, it's still legal to order from the USA and it's much cheaper to do so under all circumstances.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Sasquatch has it correct. Prior to January 2012, there was an exemption on amounts under 200g; however with the changes implemented this year, that is no longer the case. That said, customs is somewhat hit-and-miss when it comes to assessing duty, seemingly (and perhaps willingly) missing many smaller orders - however I have been dung on single tins ($18 for two oz in British Columbia). As noted, the price was still below what I would have paid for the blend locally - assuming I could have obtained it in Canada (which I couldn't, not currently approved by the CFIA).

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Yes, I've thought of getting my wife who lives in the states to remail tobacco to be labeled as something different but my own personal experiance with border agents when I've crossed is that if your painfully honest with them they generally will let you away with alot...three times the limit of alcohol and cigarettes once with a stern " your not supposed to have that much ...don't do it again ...so go away"

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
It's been random for me. I've been taxed on single tins, and had larger orders come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.