PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Like others have already stated. You are ahead of the game. Awesome TAD by the way, some fine selections there for sure. What is stated on the US customs form???

If it says tobacco I can understand why they grab the package and charge import duty, but if it doesn't say tobacco how could they list the contents to get by without duty?

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
As many have said really not bad at all for that much tobacco. I've never been hit on the pipe tobacco but decided to buy some Levi Garrett after a long absence and was hit for $18 on two $5 bags.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm sweating, I'll find out tommorrow if I got dinged, my package was in customs for 3 days, which I hear can be a normal turnover still, I'm just used to immediate clearance and it went a different route than usual and it was shipped a day later than if I were to grab it today. It's at my postal office so it'll be delivered tommorrow. It's my last order for a long time, I've made a deal if it comes through untouched I'll give an extra 40$ at Mass this month. Hail Mary........... But if it's under 300$ duty I'll just bite the bullet and pay it and call it a good run. I think I'm stocked for life to be honest.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
Wow! You guys have it pretty tough compared to us 'Mericans to the south.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, you are on the list, now.
I'm sure that Customs Canada scans incoming packages with OCR (everything sent USPS is scanned and databased), so it's just a matter of time until they decide to do something with that data. My guess is that they don't have the manpower to open everything, but once Customs can show their handlers that they turn a hefty profit opening your mail, they will, indeed, open everything.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just under 400$ for me on a kilo and a half roughly, Ottawa is not bad for customs 10 cents a gram less than for me. It's the end of an era, indubitably.

Dec 24, 2012
A kilo and a half is 1500g - so arena's you around 26 cents a gram? Or are you just talking about Federal duties?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's 5 cents/gm federally then provincially there's a rate per gm, I think 22 cents for me, then the total of that has gst on it, it was a proper assessment. You're allowed 5 pounds at once, one pound is one unit of manufactured tobacco, you're allowed to have 5 units in your possession at any time.

Dec 24, 2012
It's 5 cents/gm federally then provincially there's a rate per gm, I think 22 cents for me, then the total of that has gst on it, it was a proper assessment. You're allowed 5 pounds at once, one pound is one unit of manufactured tobacco, you're allowed to have 5 units in your possession at any time.
Federal tobacco tax is actually $6.57188 per 50g or fraction thereof.
What province are you in Andrew? Alberta or BC?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Do you have any links to current customs process? The one I found had that info, I want to see if it was a proper assessment or not as it states under the tobacco act that they have to refund any extra tax from an improper assessment

Dec 24, 2012
Try these threads:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/gotta-love-canada
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/options-if-order-gets-caught-by-canada-customs

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Thanks, after reviewing that I feel it was an honest assessment. Plus it's on some G&H, MR and escudo, so all premium tobacco's which still probably saved me 300$ in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.