Can you recommend any good conditioner for pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Brulor Pipes
3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes
3 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
I am a beginner and I want to know which product you use for maintenance of pipe. I notice there are several products online. Which one is better? Thanks.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Not sure what you're looking for, friend. For inside the pipe I just use high proof alcohol (usually vodka because it's neutral) and pipe cleaners.
For the outside, I occasionally will wax and buff the smooth finished pipes, for rough finishes I usually just wipe it down with a clean cloth.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have always used only Extra Virgin Olive Oil, it's very cheap and does a fabulous job. But it does leave a touch of an after taste on the stem for the next smoke. It is, however, not an unpleasant one. I also use it to give my pipes a wipe periodically. Especially the ones with no finish on them.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I use Obsidian Stem Oil on my vulcanite, as I tend to smoke in the elements a fair amount. I've found that with Obsidian, my stems don't discolour in the sun, nor do I end up with "polka-dots" of discolouration if I venture out into the rain; both of which I can't say about the EVOO. If I come across ugly acrylic, I use a product called Nomex Scratch Remove (Grade 2) that I buy from an acrylic fab shop in my neighbourhood.
When it comes to removing oxidization on stems, I use toothpaste (if it's not too deep) or micromesh pads (if its deep). If I need to clean the outside of a bowl, I use a toothbrush and elbow grease...and a little alcohol if I am not too worried about the stain.

I use Claphams Salad Bowl Wax (beeswax/carnuba/micro-crystaline mix) on my briar, and plain beeswax on my meer. Both can be found through Lee Valley Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.