Can you recommend a repair store to remake the hole of my bent pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Jacono Pipes
3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes
18 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
My 2 bent pipe ( Peterson & Savinelli ) failed passing filter test. I remember a veteran here once said I can remake the hole. Can you guys recommend a good repair store and possible rate? This issue really bothers me. Thanks in advance. I checked section of repair but not find what I search for.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Do they smoke bad? If the answer is no who cares? Also might try turning the pipe cleaner. Most of my pipes require a bit of massaging to pass a pipe cleaner.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
In my bent Pete, you have to turn the pipe cleaner up a bit to get it to pass through. I never used a filter in it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Remake the hole"? Do you mean expand the airway (make the diameter through the bit and the shank larger)?
If so, it may not make a difference. From my experience, the problem with Petersons is sometimes due to a gap between the tenon and the mortar. Expanding the diameter of the airway may not make a difference with passing a pipe cleaner.
But let us know how it goes.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Tim West has been great to deal with. Very friendly and knowledgeable. I just sent a pipe off to him.
But I echo the questions, especially on the Pete. A lot of Petes havea moisture trap, even if they are not denominated as "system pipes". Take off the stem and shine a flashlight down the shank. If you see straight "dead-end" and a hole at the top of the shank, you havea Pete with a moisture trap. Depending on the pipe, a little bend at theme the cleaner will do the trick to get the cleaner to pass through. Others it doesn't. Drilling out to make the air hole bigger may help the problem, but not always? I'm still doing more reseArch on it, but here's another thread talking about the same.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/petersen-gurgle-issue

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
I know I sent a Peterson to Boswells and JM put a nice new stem on it for me.

Turn around time was a week and the price was $30 for acrylic.

He can do just about anything for you and there is a printable repair

order forum on the Boswell website. Good luck!

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
Trust me guys, I do turn the filter. It just cannot pass through. I want to insert the filter because I want it to absorb the moist. And when I smoke close to bottom, I want to insert the filter to elevate the tobacco a little bit so the fresh air can come in. Or I can never finish the whole tobacco.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I want to insert the filter to elevate the tobacco a little bit so the fresh air can come in.
Dajibash: this is confusing to me. The filter goes in the shank (or stem depending) and is never close to the bowl. So it can't elevate the tobacco. If your filter doesn't fit, are you using perhaps the wrong size filter ? Also, on the Savinelli's, the balsa wood "filter" doesn't come anywhere close to the tobacco. It would burn.
Can you post some pictures of what you're struggling with so we can try to help ?

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
Mick, I don't use barsa system in Savinelli though my pipe can use it. I just install that black short pipe within the package instead.
I think the filter can go through into the bowl. Sorry I am a beginner. Hole to hole, right? Why can't it pass through in the bowl?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i am a bit confused here too. some pipes will not take a cleaner all the way tru no matter what, others take a bit of manipulation. I have some that refuse a cleaner all the way tru even tho they r non-filtered. as far as gittin to smoke that last little bit, (i call it dottle) just dump er out. If pipe smokes well up to then, it really doesnt matter. Re drillin is usually a last resort.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I think the filter can go through into the bowl.
Nope. Cleaners are what you would use to make sure you have a clear airway and that is what we refer to whe. We says "pass through to the bowl"
Filters don't go down to the bowl. Or at least not that's have seen. They stick in the stem and shank, but not all the way to the bowl. The best picture I could find is this.
pfeifenschema_eng.png

Notice how the filter sits half-way in the tenon and half-way in the mortise ? There is no way you can push that filter all the way to the bowl.
To clean and pass a pipe cleaner through, you will need to remove the filter. After smoking, wait till the pipe cools, take it apart, take out the filter, run a pipe cleaner through both ends.
Hope this helps

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Now, if you want to do the "pipe cleaner test", you would take out the filter, re-assemble the pipe, then push a pipe cleaner all the way through. It should reach the bowl, sometimes with a little fiddling and twisting. Peterson system pipes, or any with a moisture trap, are hard to get the cleaner to run all the way through. You can see why in a picture I posted in the other thread. If your Peterson shape number starts with a "3" it's a system pipe and real hard to get the cleaner to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.