PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Given the quick success of the other thread, I was reminded of this item in my tool chest. Here are some clues. What can i say? I have no clue what it is.

*it has a handle
*the top is made of metal
*it isn't new
*it probably isn't pipe related

P_20210617_100837.jpgP_20210617_100851.jpgP_20210617_100910.jpg

Reactions: Casual

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
If you put a gun to my head, I’d say it was a roofers or sheeters tool for putting incidental breaks on curbing or flashing.
but still, it looks too precise for that.
I’m going to have a look through some of my old catalogs.....

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Judging by the handle I'm guessing it was not meant to be swung or levered. Maybe the tool was held in place while being whacked with a hammer?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’d guess a sheet metal seaming/jointing tool, probably for tin roofs.

Bend a 90 degree flange on the edge of two sheets, overlap the flanges then hammer them over to lock.

That or the world’s worst soup spoon.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’d guess a sheet metal seaming/jointing tool, probably for tin roofs.

Bend a 90 degree flange on the edge of two sheets, overlap the flanges then hammer them over to lock.

That or the world’s worst soup spoon.
Seems like the consensus answer. Initially I thought it was for putting in tacks on upolstery.

Thank you all for your help!

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
My guess is similar to some other's guesses ^^^^^.

Just speculation:
The thin slot is probably for twisting, bending, sheet metal?, and the hammer end + the short handle probably was used for light knocking/adjusting-by-tapping (metal). I think roofing-tar used to come in metal buckets that had earlike-tabs around the circumference of the lid that had to be bent up before the lids could be removed from the top of the tar bucket. The hammer end of this old tool could be used to tap/bang the tar-bucket lids shut, and the slot-end used for re-bending down those same lid-tabs, for a secure closing.

Other than purely guessing, I have no clue. But, by the looks of that thing, it was made and probably used exclusively, for doing a dedicated, very specific task.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018

For those who do not want to click on the link.

Hammer Highlight: Saw Setting and Swaging Hammer​

DSCN3418.jpg

Saw blades are not as straight as one may think. It is actually necessary for the blade of a saw to be set at a slight angle. A small curve in the saw’s teeth prevents the blade from getting stuck in the log it is cutting into. If a saw blade was straight it would only cut enough space for itself, not leaving enough room to remove the tool.

An established saw manufacturer, the Symonds Manufacturing Company, developed many saws and saw working implements. This saw set was one of many designed by the company to adjust the angle of the blade and improve its function. The clamp portion of the hammer seen here was used to wrench the saw teeth, giving the blade a set. The hammer head was used for swage. Swage is the squashing of the saw teeth to broaden the width of the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.