PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
I just received a Wellington pipe I won on Ebay. I tried calling Dave at Walker Briar Works today to ask him this question but he did not answer. Upon closer examination of the pipe I noticed that the stems lower ring is broken off. Something they conveniently forgot to mention in the description. I was wondering if this will effect the pipes smoking performance. Also, for when the pipes bowl gets hot when being smoked, could the missing ring cause the bowl to come loose from the stem and maybe drop from the stem? Does anyone know from actual experience, can the ring be repaired? Any help is appreciated.

frown.png

004.jpg

This is what it should look like:

PipeStem.jpg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Really, I don't think it will cause a performance issue. I don' think it can be repaired but depending on what you paid for the pipe I'd either 1.) try to return it since it didn't match the description 2.) keep it an ignore the missing part, I can't imagine it would effect the smoke or 3.) grind it down carefully until its flush and then perhaps open the airway up a bit to cool the smoke down.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Looks to me that that section would be more for holding a filter secure then anything. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you paid a lot for it.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
If you're going to seek a refund, which you deserve, be very careful about your wording if you have to submit a claim. If the seller made any specific statement about the the pipe being in good condition be sure and quote this when submitting your claim. You will only get to write one email in defense of your position and if you don't demonstrate exactly how the seller's description was misleading you can very easily have a perfectly reasonable claim denied. This has happened to me, so a word to the wise. If you're in luck the person you bought from will make good on this and simply didn't know enough about pipes to realize that there was serious damage. Good luck! Please let us know how this works out for you.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
Well, this is the response I just received from the seller:
"I am very sorry that the pipe ring was broken, I was completely unaware that the ring was broken, or I would have stated so.
Never my intentions to sell a product that is not as described, just a mistake I never want to repeat,

Please send pipe back and I will return complete amount back to you. Very sorry for your inconvenience.

Is this satisfactory to you?"
Although it doesn't say she would pay the return shipping, I am assuming that is what she means. If in any case it went bad and the seller wasn't so understanding and professional, I would just dispute it with Paypal and my credit card. I've never had an instance where my cc didn't back me up as long as I had everything documented as proof. I'm actually thinking of keeping it. I did mention to her that it might cost me a bit extra to have the ring fixed (if it can be fixed), but I told her I was waiting to hear back from the pipe repairer to see how much it would be. I'm thinking of suggesting that she refund me back a bit of the money I paid in order to make up for and have the ring fixed on it. I realized the ring is for holding filters Wellington pipes use. So at this point I feel better now that I am dealing with an honest person. Any ideas?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
It sounds like you want to keep the pipe...offer to leave glowing feedback for her remittance of a small portion of the price, and spend a little time to get your pipe in fighting trim. A pipe in hand is worth two that got away.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
Yes, I would prefer to keep it. I collect and smoke Wellingtons. I didn't have to coaxe her, she offered on her own for me to send it back for refund or for a partial refund to make up for the damage. I will still need to have it cleaned and polished if I do keep ot. What do yous think I should do? :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.