PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheermeister

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
I just started smoking pipes not too long ago with my dad not too long ago, when he got his first pipe. Sincejust starting out I didn't want to buy anything expensive so I bought these at an antique shop.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about them. Did I get a deal? Are they good or bad pipes? Anything!

2013-02-18_16-25-10_119-600x338.jpg

2013-02-18_16-30-47_968-600x338.jpg

2013-02-18_16-31-47_436-600x338.jpg

2013-02-18_16-32-10_564-600x338.jpg

This pipe is a Silver Duke Dr. Grabow
2013-02-18_16-33-45_529-600x338.jpg

2013-02-18_16-27-57_908-600x338.jpg

This one is a Medico Guardsman
2013-02-18_16-25-40_261-600x338.jpg

There is no name on this one
Thanks for your responses.
-Cheermeister
Edit: Fixed your pics for you. Remember to "Copy Image Address" and paste into IMG box. "A" for effort. Was an easy fix, L.

cleidophoros

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2012
Grabow and Medico are basic, entry level pipes as far as I know. They might be decent pipes, they might be great pipes; you will have to try them yourself after cleaning.

Did you get a deal? I don't know; how much did you pay for them?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Grabow and Medico are basic, entry level pipes as far as I know. They might be decent pipes, they might be great pipes; you will have to try them yourself after cleaning.

You hit the nail on the head. The older ones are much better then the newer ones. Some people say the new one smoke horrible, others say they smoke fine. You'll just have to see for yourself. As for the no name, it could be a great smoker, or it might not be. Again, you'll have to find out.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
They look like they will clean up nicely. Only you can decide if you got a good deal with how they work for you. I can't wait to see them cleaned. Let us know how they work please.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
get them cleaned frist. can you you do the work youself? if so, get started. iam thinking they will smoke ok, as long as you get them back into shape. good luck.
mike.

cheermeister

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
I have only smoked the no name one and the maroon medico one. The no name was my favorite and a great smoke while the medico made the tobacco taste terrible so I haven't smoked it again.

I am not sure how to do the cleaning myself. Is it fairly simple?

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Cleaning them is no problem. You will need a good reamer, I prefer castleford, pipe cleaners, the cotton ones not the craft style, 91 percent isopropyl alcohol or everclear, Kosher salt and a micromesh kit and or a buffer. If you feel a bit daunted get in touch and I can help you out.

Aug 14, 2012
I'll tell you anything you want to hear about those pipes. Basically, if you guys enjoy smoking them, keep it up, though you do not have a collection that anyone is liable to kill you for.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
The only one I'm not sure about is the bottom one. The top three are briar, Medico has been mass producing them for a long time.
the shiny red Medico Guardsman is made of a material called Brylar.
And that bottom one perplexes me, it's cut in a cob shape, but it's no cob and it doesn't look like briar either.
Never smoked out of Brylar and that's pretty much on purpose. Briar pipes are where it's at, so long as you have a good seal on them, and they haven't been smoked hot enough to burn out the inside of the chamber, you're in good shape.
To test the seal, cover the chamber opening tight with your thumb and try and take a puff. If you can't pull air, you've got a good seal.
welcome to the forum :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cheermeister, there are many resources on the web on how to properly clean and restore a pipe, I would do a lot of research if I were you before I attempted it. I also would not smoke any of those until they have been properly cleaned. In terms of value, those 5 pipes are worth maybe 10.00.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Foggymountain and cigrmaster way to be encouraging to the new guy. Remember when your mother said if you dont have anyhting nice to say dont say anything at all?
That being said I have over 60 Grabows and almost 30 medicos that are great smokers so cheer pay no attention to the nay sayers and snoots man smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
For everyone else that responded way to make the new guy feel at home fellas nice encouragements and helpful posts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
... I'd just like to say, nice pipe rack. I inherited one of these from my dad, who inherited it from his dad. Mine is mostly walnut wood with

an amber glass jar. It holds ten pipes, and the jar is a fair tobacco keeper, though not as good as a canning jar with a latch lid. The fact

that these pipes seem to have had regular use and have held up without cracked bowls or chewed up stems, bodes well for your use.

'Strikes me this is a good way to get into tobacco pipes. You can rotate pipes, and try different tobaccos, and when you are ready, you'll

have a sound basis for picking out a new pipe or two to fill in for the old timers that don't quite work out for you. And you have some

history on your pipe rack. Good move.

cheermeister

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
Thanks mso489 and rothnh and everyone else for responses. I figured these pipes were not very special but thought i'd ask. The stand and humidor, if you can believe it, was only 13 bucks including three pipes! I got lucky that day!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Chee man do not ever be ashamed of what you have, nice pipes to start off on, some members here don"t have that , be careful when takeing stems off they are old. Enjoy. The old cajun

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
That Medico looks really nice, Id smoke it. Just clean them up as stated and enjoy. I have several grabows and cheaper end pipe, and love them..Always be proud of what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.