PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nelamvr6

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2023
I found a new pipe waiting for me when I returned home today, a Dunhill Bent Billiard with a Military Mount

1kmR4Sh.jpg

nSzh9Az.jpg

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've found that I can have enough pipes. Having said that, I'd have a hard time getting rid of your new addition if it was mine. It's a beaut.

Reactions: nelamvr6

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Certainly. I have enough pipes. That doesn't mean, should I find a pipe I want, that I wouldn't buy it. I have have thirty or so smokers. If I buy another and it turns out to be a good fit, smokes well and such, I'd select one to discard.

Collectors of pipes would no doubt disagree. Some collect, some simply amass, others only buy pipes to smoke. I'm a smoker. I am not a "pipeaholic."

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
That’s a lovely pipe, congratulations!

I still find myself buying a new pipe every now and then but not because I “need” another one. Sometimes it’s just curiosity and other times it’s just a very appealing pipe that speaks to me.

Lately it’s been the artistry of hand crafted artisan pipes and I’ve yet to regret a purchase from a great pipe carver. My latest two were from our very own Doug Finlay and they are both fantastic. Didn’t “need” them but I sure did want them. 😁

Reactions: nelamvr6
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Technically, yes. I have enough pipes to designate one (or a few) to each blend type, even minor variations (like VaPer with Orientals, separate from VaPer pipes)
I love collecting pipes and will continue to. But I will say - I don't care to have 2-300 pipes like some do. I think at a point, there's too many. I've recently sold off 6 pipes(or traded) and bought one nicer one in place of those.
At this point, I have to really love the pipe to get it, and the dimensions must all be to my preference. This makes saying no far easier. And if I see one in my collection I haven't smoked in a while, I smoke it to see why and then get rid of it.

Beautiful pipe. I don't own any, but I like the bent military mounts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For me, it's a balance. Of course I enjoying window shopping online, occasionally finding a particular pipe I decide to buy, usually by selecting four or five candidates and then narrowing it down to one.

However, I buy pipes to smoke, so when I feel I have more pipes than I regularly smoke in rotation, I thoughtfully cull the herd. I have donated some, gifted a few, and mostly traded groups for store credit toward one other pipe I'd prefer.

This keeps me at about ninety pipes, "too many," but few enough that they all get smoked.

I don't want them in storage boxes under the bed or in a closet. Hundreds would not be pleasing, would feel wasteful and like clutter.

Others who restore pipes keep a lot of estates on hand, and that is a different situation. But my current stable of pipes seems to suit me. Yes, I feel I sometimes have too many pipes, so then I cull a group.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My wife is an enabler when it comes to my pipe buying and for several years I was fortunate enough to find decent estate pipes on our monthly jaunts through antique shops, flea markets, etc. (By "decent" I mean, Savinelli's, Peterson's, Preben Holm, Ascorti, Castello's and even a couple of Dunhills.)

That being said, for the past two years I have made it a policy of selling or giving away an estate pipe I own for each new pipe I acquire.

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
Beautiful pipe. For me, the answer to your question is yes. I stopped buying pipes a few years ago. 20-25 pipes is way more than enough for me. I lost the desire to buy any more - feels like a huge waste of money.