PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
You can, but as others said before me: do not preferred. Most of my pipes are 9mms (because I'm European and we can not buy pipes without filter ), but I always use a balsa filter at least. I had no success trying without it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Okay, first of all, the majority of pipe "filters" are just hollow tubes of absorbent paper, or sticks of wood, designed for one purpose: to absorb condensation so the pipe doesn't gurgle and you don't suddenly get a mouthful of horrid-tasting crap. Most pipe "filters" are not made to trap particulate matter like a cigarette filter.
So pretty much anything absorbent that imparts no flavor can be used as a filter. A piece of blotting paper, paper towling, cotton wool, a piece of pipecleaner folded back on itself once or twice...you get the idea. As long as it doesn't restrict the draw noticeably, it will work.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I had the same problem with a Peterson Drac that I had to order from overseas, apparently not available here. To my amazement it had a filter. Without the filter the draw seemed somehow strange. So I sent the pipe to a pipe hospital recommended to me by Smokingpipes.com (I'd give you the name now, but site rules forbid it), and they made a new tenon--I didn't like the idea of a jury-rigged adaptor--and fitted it in place of the old filter holding tenon. Smokes like a champ now. Really depends on how important the pipe is to you. I don't like half measures, so I bit the bullet for a new solid, save for drill hole, tenon, and the price was pretty good. You may want to give that a try. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
My Dr. Grabow definitely smokes better with a filter, although I will smoke with or without it. frozenchurchwarden, fish filter carbon is an interesting idea that I'll have to try.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Most of my pipes are 9mms (because I'm European and we can not buy pipes without filter ), but I always use a balsa filter at least.
One mystery solved there. I wondered why there were so many 9mm pipes.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
The big boy pipes, when filtered -- Peterson, Rattray's, Stanwell, Big Ben, etc. -- use a standard-length 9mm filter filled with charcoal, capped on one or both ends with ceramic. So not just rolled paper. Available primarily in Europe, these can be alternatively filled with meerschaum chips. I have both on hand. On the other issue, even Savinelli's (balsam) wood filters capture more than moisture. In my Savs, the used filters are always brown and wet... and of course expensive.
As a suggested alternative (carbon), piper shops have products to put in the bottom of any pipe bowl for absorbing and cooling. Fish sold separately.

Not just for specialized Erik Nording pipes, the volcanic clay bits can be placed right n your bowl, or in the Peterson System reservoir:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-filters/85358/eriksen-pipe-keystones/#p-120396

A reusable clay body (one piece) can be dropped into the bowl:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-filters/77122/philtpads-10/#p-126700
Many retailers have these, try 'em with your next pipe/tobacco purchase?!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I smoke them in and out depends on the leaf I am smoking. I have a drawer full of 9 mm adapters that came with the pipes and some I bought at one time thinking I needed them and have not. Like Warren said, find out what works for you.

Mar 1, 2014
The thing about fish tank carbon is you can get it for a few dollars a pound.

http://www.amazon.com/Loving-Pets-Acurel-ALV2252-52-Pound/dp/B000YJ4BNO/

If you can get one of these it'll probably last the rest of your life. Being a Northerner I had to settle for 3lb bags at about $10 each, but either one makes the pipe store accessories look excessive.

It should be noted that I wash the pellets before I use them, or at least I did the first batch. Fresh from the bag they're covered in fine carbon powder (from tumbling around) and it can be a bit messy.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Anytime I see a filter thread, I always feel compelled to draw a distinction between filters (what define as a matrix of some kind that smoke passes through) like the paper medicos or 9mm charcoal, and inserts (that smokes doesn't go through but around). The Savinelli balsa insert is triangular: the smoke goes around it on 3 sides. The Brigham maple insert is a hollow tube and the smoked passes unimpeded through the middle (and easily passes a pipe cleaner). Both wick away moisture big time without blocking the smoke. Inserts like those are completely different than full bore diameter filters. I think lumping inserts and filters together may give the wrong idea to new smokers who haven't tried them, or who maybe have just tried a filter and assume insert systems are the same. They aren't.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Krizzose, have you ever looked at a carbon filter, cut one open? Not much in there. Rattle around like a BB in a box car. The ones I have examined were maybe 1/10 full and that is when they are on end.
I have not metered one but I would be willing to bet there is no more impedence to a 9mm carbon filter than there is to that little bitty hole in an aluminum headed filter on a Brigham.
I believe your splitting hairs to separate them out. If some one likes them or not is up to them, but I do not get much difference between them when smoking one. I have them all. Some times I use one sometimes I do not. Depends on what I am smoking. I have a number of Savs that use the 6mm balsas. Brighams, Danish, German, that use carbon 9mm or not. Many which use nothing. Filter is a filter. :wink:

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Okiescout- no, I've never cut one open, but it is telling that I would need to cut it open at all. That being said, I'm not making any comment on filters pro or con, just trying to point out that they are fundamentally different in design and use than what I've called inserts. Perhaps the practical difference is not so great. For the record, I've never used a carbon filter, so I have no idea if I'd like it or not.

Mar 1, 2014
Actually the only way I'll willingly use the Vauen Dr. Pearl filters is if I cut them open and dump half the pellets out. At least with that brand the cylinders are crammed full, no rattle at all.

By default they cause massive restriction in airflow, and Vauen pipes don't have a lot of flow to begin with.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
That is interesting, Frozenchurchwarden. I have cartons of them but they were from sales "back when" and are a mix of several EU brands. I opened up the one (Adsorba) carbon filters just out of curiosity, guess some folks thank that is weird, I have spent many hours of my life taking something apart to figure out what it is about. :D Good to hear I am not alone. It would be interesting to know how much consistency is involved in such a low profit item.
My experience has been that when occasionally I notice a filter restricting the draw on a pipe, I just toss it and finish the smoke without it. If a filter is really wet, after drying or for whatever reason that tended to make them quite messy, I deal with the issues that created a wet smoke. For me filters are just tools that come in handy when paired with some tobacco which I find more enjoyable with a filter.
When time is available I am going to examine a Savinelli "insert". On thinking about the subject, It dawns on me that the balsa has to filter the smoke to some degree, in my minds eye the "insert" is larger than the bore of the shank which it is shoved up against. In thinking about 2 particular Savs in my rotation that are so tight that they often shave some of the balsa off when it is inserted into the tenon.
Personally if I noticed a significant restriction in draw I would forgo using a filter due to that faster than taste reduction.

Again, this is just me. Diversity is "The Force" in pipe smoking :lol:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned multiple pipes with 6mm and 9mm filters and they all smoked great without the filters or adaptors. Most specifically they were Sav's for the 6mm and Winslow for the 9mm. They all had a nice open draw similar to a Castello, and they smoked dry as a bone.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have owned multiple pipes with 6mm and 9mm filters and they all smoked great without the filters or adaptors. Most specifically they were Sav's for the 6mm and Winslow for the 9mm. They all had a nice open draw similar to a Castello, and they smoked dry as a bone.
Harris
+1, Harris. Never picked up a bad one.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have these Vauen and Castleford 9mm charcoal filters. I bought them to fit two pipes I own. (Both pipes bought in Europe: Gasparini and BC) In fact, the guy at the store I bought them from said that these were the correct filters to use in both pipes.
They do rattle around inside of the pipe.
I thought this was bad...
So I tried the Savinelli Balsa.
The Savinelli balsas fit snug, so I use them... though airflow is more restricted...
In any case, is it "bad" to use the filters that rattle? Are they supposed to rattle?
It's annoying... but is it actually working?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
In any case, is it "bad" to use the filters that rattle? Are they supposed to rattle?
Lasttango, the answer in my mind to your question is no. It just means the mortise was cut a little deeper than necessary. So the filter will pop back when you draw heavily on it until it seats from the heat and a little moisture. Like I said if it is really annoying to me I take it out. You can get adapters for filter pipes which can be put in or taken out readily.
"In any case, is it "bad" to use the filters that rattle? Are they supposed to rattle?"
They work the same either way. No they are not supposed to rattle. I have several Vauens that are this way. None of my other 9mm pipes do this however.

Status
Not open for further replies.