PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
By the time my old meer got mostly black it was about 40 years old and falling apart. The top was worn down from banging it, the stem falling off and there was a hole in the bottom. There was tape everywhere holding it together, so I threw it out.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Rottingcorpse, thanks. I only smoke Virginia and Vaper flakes which are probably worst for fast coloring of meer :)

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Such a shame, Foggy!
Sajgre, thanks for letting me know.
Tu Old, that's a gorgeous pipe. I bet it would smoke well too.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My three oldest. Top is 50 years and smoked each evening when at home. The others are each 40 years plus and usually smoked each evening also. Each is on at least its second bit.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I see a tiny blue box with a ? mark inside, presuming that means a link to photos of Warren's 3 mentioned pipes. However, I cannot see anything at all, and no page tries to open. Help! Please

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have 5 others that are not so well colored, yet. Should I live so long the Oom Paul should be entirely a dark, chocolate brown in a few more years.
And, thanks rottingcorpse. I'll tip a Guinness in your direction. It's not so much dedication as they smoke beautifully and meerschaums are all I smoke when at home in the evenings.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
True, Warren. I left stouts, but I'll tip Hoptologist in your direction. You drink any IPAs?

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
40 years of pipe in rotation!! That is amazing. This is what it looks like to know your pipe's smoking characteristics.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got a couple meer lined briars, a Kiko Caveman/Hillbilly series block and two carved Turkish Meers.

Unfortunately, the Turkish Meers are either broken or show serious cracks when heated.
brokenmeer-600x450.jpg

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I like stanlaurel's pipe, nice.
This thread makes me wonder if anyone ever carved a meerschaum pipe that looks like a sandblast/rusticated briar pipe?

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This was my grandfather's pipe -- a rare double bowl meer. It was gifted to him in 1917 and I still smoke it! Dunno what he used, but I'm mostly 1-Q!
The white one above this is an NOS that I found on eBay - it seems to be by the same maker (R. Lewis, James St., London) as the case and everything else is very similar. There's no name showing on Grandad's case or on the pipe. I had a faux amber stem made for Grandad's so I wouldn't break the real one!
RLewisandGrandadsMeerschaums2_zpsd37eab98.jpg

MeerschaumGrandads14_zps48cc5a8b.jpg

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I know it's a bit late, but here is my IMP pipe I recently purchased. I really love this beauty, but my poor briars have been getting no attention. On the bright side, their cakes have really hardened, I've noticed.
Brand New from Smokingpipes.com

002-316-2619.jpg

35 bowls

IMG_5096_zpsou7ezojl.jpg

It's starting to show color on the shank. It's darker in in person, but still looks good here. I haven't dedicated this pipe to specific blends. I mostly smoked English and aromatics in this pipe but had maybe 4-6 bowls of VaPers, mainly Old Gowrie. Recently though, I've been smoking Eileen's Dream and just ordered my first 2 ozs Lane 1Q. Forgot to mention, how often should I rewax it? I bought a bit of beeswax but haven't used it yet. I believe I read somewhere that every 50 bowls is a good idea. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.