Can anyone tell me what the pipe is in this picture?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
6 Fresh Jacono Pipes
12 Fresh Estate Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
tumblr_luwcepSVKo1r2h5u7o1_1280.jpg

einstein-office.jpg
001151112.jpg

tumblr_m9mnbdc1LX1rqpa8po1_1280.jpg

EinsteinsDesk.jpg

These are the best pictures of Albert Einstein's desk I could find on the day after he died. As you can see there is a pipe on it that must have been the last one he smoked. I would LOVE to get my hands on a pipe as close to this one as possible. If anyone has any information on it I would be so grateful. Preferably Id like to know the exact brand and model etc. but if anyone even knew the type it was or knew of some similar looking models I would also be happy. Thank you so much, this is my first post on this forum and I am excited to see if anyone can help me :3

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
It looks like a quite small amphora with an extra long saddle stem. This is similar but rustic and the stem is shorter - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=reUfb6QkQPNXXM&tbnid=xcpXUDl2eo_QYM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Frebornpipes.com%2F2013%2F05%2F18%2Fan-amphora-extra-saddle-billiard-reborn%2F&ei=vHqCU46LD-is0QWjkYDgDQ&bvm=bv.67720277,d.ZWU&psig=AFQjCNEjHI1QUdHatddXcWyqVYE6zZiKQw&ust=1401146426541023
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There should be an Albert Einstein archivist at Princeton University guarding and curating his papers and possessions,

who should know exactly what kind of pipe this is. I am not thinking of an ideal world, only a somewhat competent and

reasonable world, but therefore it still may not be true. There has fallen over our culture a shabby-assed no-account

attitude toward history, not in all cases but in many. Still, I hold out hope. This shouldn't be a difficult question to

answer. Shouldn't be.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Love the pictures, but not a clue on the pipe. You could spend quite some time perusing smokingpipes.com for a somewhat similar long stemmed saddlebit dublin.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Also, these may have been staged a bit. The front shots show the pipe being moved, the photo near it being placed on the book and the chair's position being altered.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just because I think creators should always be credited: This photo originally appeared in a feature for LIFE magazine. Here's the story: http://life.time.com/history/the-day-albert-einstein-died-a-photographers-story/#1.
Bob

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
You could always ask one of the pipemakers on this forum to copy the pipe for you.

Aug 14, 2012
There are Dunhills like that but the stem seems thinner than I have ever seen on a Dunhill. Please let us know if you find out.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Given the state of the pipe that Einstein's estate donated to the Smithsonian, I'm guessing he was definitely not a Dunhill kind of man. It wouldn't surprise me if his pipes were mostly no-names or common, inexpensive pipes for their time.
Bob

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
It kind of reminds me of a Jobey that I have, stem wise. The bowl reminds me of an Ukrainian, many times they leave a knob on the bottom.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
Thank you to everyone for all of your responses, I really didn't expect there to be this much feedback! Firstly, @andystewart, thank you for that link, it definitely has some similarities with the pipe in the picture and as an article in its own right is very interesting :D @mso489 that is an excellent idea, I think I will shoot them an email and see if they have any info on it for me, *fingers crossed* @cmdrmcbragg I will be sure to keep on hunting through the forums to see if I spot a similar model, also very good observation on those pics, it does look like the objects have moved in some of them! @rmbittner thanks, I probably should have linked that xD @edgreen I never thought of that,if I dont find a match I am happy with I will have to hunt down a pipemaker.. hope that's not too expensive :p @bluesmk and @edgreren, those do look like excellent matches! @foggymountain I will be sure to post pictures of the pipe I decide to settle with :D @rmbittner I was thinking that too.. it makes it much harder to find the one he used :/ @spud Do you think it could have been custom made?

Thank you everyone for your help, I am a lot closer to my goal then I was yesterday :D Rob

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Because of the way he handled the rest of his life, I would have to agree with Bittner that it was probably a drug store brand and he probably never cleaned them either.
Wish I could focus that notepad better. Looks like interesting stuff.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
@edgreen I think you're right. I've decided that provided it isn't too expensive (I am still a student) I am going to try to find someone of the forums that could make a custom one for me. If anybody could recommend a pipe maker that could accurately make a copy from just these pictures at a reasonable enough cost I would be very grateful. :D

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
I can see that being the case, I'm sure he was much more preoccupied with his work that he purely used whatever pipe and tobacco was most convenient and was more focused on the act of smoking pipes then the ritual of collecting pipe, cleaning them, trying out tobaccos etc. The only way I could see this being a high quality pipe is if it was gifted to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.