PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Here is one of the pipes I won in my latest auction win. Anyone have any ideas what it may be? I have not found any identifying marks

null_zps13d546b3.jpg

null_zpscb39f824.jpg

null_zps05c4c4d1.jpg

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I can't tell you about the pipe, but I can tell you that the image (especially the first one shown) that is carved in the bowl is of a character known in Thailand as "Hoti" (Pronounced HO Tie), the "Laughing Budda." He is supposed to bring you happiness and peace. I have a sculpture of the same guy I brought back from SEA during the Vietnam era. Never saw him carved on a pipe before. Makes me suspect the pipe is from one of the SEA countries-Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam. Interesting piece.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have a pipe that has a Japanese Garden Scene carved on the side of it. Nice pipe with a bone stem. I asked around about it and was told it was probably a pipe bought by a serviceman that was over seas a long time ago. Apparently, there used to be bunch of artisinal carvers that would customize pipes. If that story is true I would suspect that your's would be the same. I have no proof of this so...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It appears to be a pipe...
lol!
Nice pick up 05. Looks like a laughing Buddha to me too - maybe with some wise men thrown in for good measure. Definitely a unique find!

Status
Not open for further replies.