PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
I was wondering if I could get some help on this one. I have seen some of the larger sites, and they do have some nice pieces, but I am looking more for a vintage pipe. I have noticed that these sites tend to be a litter harder to find as they are buried deeper in the search results or don't come up at all.

Does anyone have any recommendations (aside from ebay) of where to go to find vintage pipes / restored pipe dealers? Thanks!

Jun 9, 2018
England
I was wondering if I could get some help on this one. I have seen some of the larger sites, and they do have some nice pieces, but I am looking more for a vintage pipe. I have noticed that these sites tend to be a litter harder to find as they are buried deeper in the search results or don't come up at all.

Does anyone have any recommendations (aside from ebay) of where to go to find vintage pipes / restored pipe dealers? Thanks!
I realise you're looking for a vintage pipe but if you change your mind and decide to go for new then you can't go wrong with a Baki. A little more expensive but worth every penny.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Auction sites will be your best bet but just know that many of them have a chamber depth of little more than the tip of your finger.

20211030_140724.jpg

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Auction sites will be your best bet but just know that many of them have a chamber depth of little more than the tip of your finger.

View attachment 105955
yikes! I may have to rethink the vintage than lol.
I see nice! How do you find the quality? Are they imported from Turkey and real gourds (as far as you can tell, to be honest I wouldn't be able to tell lol)

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Meerschaum Market and CPW Pipes sells them. Be aware they sell both gourd and mahogany.
Ah yes, I saw that they had Mahogany. I am not against it per se but I am looking for the authentic look and feel so I would want to go with the gourd. I remember my father's giant gourd calabash. It was quite nice! He smoked it a few times but mostly it was for show. It's the kind of pipe you need to really sit down and enjoy not one you would take outside for a walk often lol.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Ah yes, I saw that they had Mahogany. I am not against it per se but I am looking for the authentic look and feel so I would want to go with the gourd. I remember my father's giant gourd calabash. It was quite nice! He smoked it a few times but mostly it was for show. It's the kind of pipe you need to really sit down and enjoy not one you would take outside for a walk often lol.
I have a gourd calabash that was gifted to me by a forum member. I have to admit that it clenches incredibly well. I thought I was going to have to hold it the whole time. The bowl is wide and shallow which lends to a little more effort to get the tobacco going. Replacement bowls can be made to order and I plan to have one made with a narrower but deeper chamber. 20211023_192519.jpg

Reactions: Hfinn

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
I have a gourd calabash that was gifted to me by a forum member. I have to admit that it clenches incredibly well. I thought I was going to have to hold it the whole time. The bowl is wide and shallow which lends to a little more effort to get the tobacco going. Replacement bowls can be made to order and I plan to have one made with a narrower but deeper chamber. View attachment 106119
that has an amazing color!

Reactions: FurCoat
Jun 9, 2018
England
I have 4 gourds and a wooden and I would definitely advise getting a proper gourd calabash. The wooden ones are way heavier.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I just checked it out, looks amazing! I think I will go with this. Thanks!
Take into account the size of the gourd. I've got 2 giant ones a regular and a small. The size of the gourd/chamber affects the strength of the tobacco, bigger the gourd the more it mellows it out.
My giant ones I tried smoking straight Virginias in and they got a bit lost so now I use them for stronger blends like Revor and the Gawith brown twists. My smallest one (a Baki like in the bottom picture) has a very small gourd and I use that for straight Virginias and it's marvelous.

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
on this point I disagree. My silver capped gourd calabash has become my favourite pipe to smoke while pushing a pram. Not only is it surprisingly comfortable to clench, it makes everyone smile.
that makes sense, for me I never clench a pipe so that is where I wouldn't take it out. Glad you enjoy!

Reactions: Ahi Ka

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
I had a lot of luck with CPW Calabash Pipes. You'll need some cork-oil to set the seal. Just find one that's an agreeable shape. It took me a year to find one that was a pleasing shape as it's actually out of a real gourd. Don't settle for the fake stuff.

Jun 9, 2018
England

If you're still looking there's this Andreas Bauer calabash on ebay. It was produced in 1980 and is brand new! It's made using sterling silver and has a real amber stem. A snip at $3,500 and it comes with free p&p ?.

s-l400.jpg